Thursday, 1 January 2009

Can we get back to normal now ?

That's it then, all the festive malarkey is over, the New Year shenanigans are done and dusted and we stumble forward into 2009 full of hope, happiness and hangovers!

It's an odd thing New Year, I've always found it a bit of a 'non-event', something we anticipate somehow as offering a chance to celebrate, the magical midnight hour that will herald something special but of course doesn't.... and as it chimes and we kiss complete strangers while we are jostled shoulder to shoulder at one event or another, nothing actually changes except the date on the calendar!

I don't view this as a 'bah humbug' attitude, it's just how I see it, the changing of the year changes nothing, one is much the same as another, some good, some bad, some trials and tribulations and some smiles and happiness, though hopefully a larger percentage of the latter rather than the former and with a little luck one or two special highlights.

So what of my 2008? Some good some bad. My highlights? The top spots....I got to move in with the love of my life, TP survived massive surgery for usually inoperable cancer spectacularly, and continues to deal with the ongoing treatment equally spectacularly, I got to meet my best friend Lisa for real at last, I left the white van from hell firmly residing in my past, I got to see a bit more of the world and drive Stelvio Pass and I began what will hopefully be my next little menagerie with the acquisition of Hammy.

The lowlights....probably best forgotten but including of course TP's original diagnosis and the fact that rendering oneself unemployed at the front end of a recession is not professionally wise perhaps!

Regrets.....none, I don't do regrets, I live by my heart and I live for the small pleasures, I do what my heart says is important and it's only in not doing things that we have regrets.

And what of 2009? I don't have aspirations as such, I have one or two private hopes and dreams but I can fail quite well enough thankyouverymuch without setting myself up, so I potter into 2009 enjoying the small things, braced for the bad bits should any occur, hoping for maybe one or two highlights and thankful for what I have, which is where the title of this post comes in....if you enjoy 'normal' it has to be a good thing!

7 Comments:

Daisy said...

I am glad the holidays are over, too. I must admit that I enjoy routines. But I am looking forward to seeing the Rose Parade on TV today!

Unknown said...

Thankfully,it's over for another year.

Happy New Year to you both! xx

Joan said...

Happy New Year Jane!

It's 2009 already, and I'm getting ready to change up my template. Be warned, be afraid, very afraid..heh. I got the itch again, and only you can scratch it. Oops that sounds a little off doesn't it?

Have a great year, and I will be talking to you in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Actually, you have the same thoughts and feelings as me about New Year. I never really understand all the fuss. Nothing is ever different after the stroke of midnight as it was before. But hey, an excuse for a party in any case.

Happy New Year :o)

WendyCarole said...

quite agree with you over New Year celebrations

omashee aka Barb said...

Amen to your New Year sentiments!

Nicey said...

Yeah this normal life stuff - thats what I want some of that, lets see eh ?
I like your thoughts there, especially enjoying the small things.
Laters

Nicey