It's a strange thing but the bank holiday weekend we are supposed to look forward too was something of a double edge sword for me at least and I'm probably not alone. I think it's something similar to that 'Christmas thing' that is always talked of in the festive season...the word that sums it up is 'loneliness'.During the week, even before I was working, the week and even most weekends seemed reasonably well 'populated' the few friends I have close by and all of those I have online are kicking around but this weekend everyone suddenly disappeared en masse. Well to be more accurate not so much disappeared as have better things to do, families to spend time with, partners to relax with or days out and visiting to do....and my weekend became a 'study in lonely'. I don't recall the last time I felt quite so alone, I'm used to amusing myself and filling my time but normally there is some company or small event to look forward to...not this time.
In an effort to make something of it I at least decided it was about time I treated myself to a luxury in recognition of my getting a job, something I really shouldn't spend money on...a new phone! Hey, I have been running the old one for over two years, I can justify it!
So, the new phone, a Nokia X6, fantabulous, love it....but it is proof that material possession is so much less important than people. I'm a gadget freak, I adore all that stuff but it doesn't stop the loneliness. Dammit!


4 Comments:
You're a nerd.
HTH ;)
x
Sorry to hear your bank holiday was lonely G. I've had times like this and can definitely empathize. The worst of those days was in my mid 20's. I had been working too much, and being a man who can be a bit selective about friends, let us just say I was basically going to be on my jack jones for Christmas. It was a lonely time indeed. I drank a lot, ate a lot and looked forward to getting back to work the entire time. As I think about this period now I think what a silly fool I was. I should have made an effort to put myself out there, or got into my music. I think we have to go through this stuff to make us truly appreciate the company of others, and to have time to reflect about what is important to us. The phone looks snazzy. I have a cheap Virgin Mobile special. True to myself, there are just a few phone numbers in there, I'll never change.
Bank holidays are very overrated, I think. Most people would much prefer to have those days added to their holiday entitlement.
Sweet phone! You have a better one than I ;) Sorry to hear about your bank holiday. :( Hope the next one will be a better one for you. :)
Post a Comment