You know those friend of a friend 'can you do me a favour' situations that one finds it very difficult to say 'no' too...well, in an effort to prove I am prepared to do almost anything for work I got embroiled in one earlier this week which turned into something of a small nightmare.
I was asked if I would do a little cleaning for an elderly gent who's own ability to keep his house in reasonable order is somewhat failing.
I was warned that the man in question was something of a character and could be hard work so I went to visit him with his daughter (the friend of a friend), we seemed to get along ok, though his somewhat questionable psychiatric status was patently obvious. The house was less than pleasant and it wasn't a task I relished one iota but as you do I agreed to take it on, against my better judgement. I'm just crap at saying no!
So, I turned up at the allotted time for my first few hours attacking years of grime a few days ago and things degenerated almost immediately. When I arrived I was greeted with somewhat 'over enthusiastic' kisses and I soon discovered this guy wanted to inhabit my personal space continually. He was never more than about a foot from my face and being way too touchy feely.
I set about cleaning his kitchen but he persisted in taking continually, again, in far to close proximity. Things got worse. His legs beginning to ache with standing he appeared next with a small stool which he planted in the middle of the kitchen, sat down on and proceeded to watch my rear from very close quarters, intermittently making what could best be described as inappropriate comments. I tried my best to ignore him and get on with the job in hand but his behaviour was beginning to make me very uncomfortable and every sense in my body was yelling at me to get the hell out.
I should have listened to my gut reactions. Things got worse still and as he began to get more comfortable with me apparently he started trying to 'touch' me, this was not a friendly pat on the shoulder I promise you. It could have been way worse but in the real world it would amount to sexual harassment if not assault. The kissing attempts became more persistent and the inappropriate suggestions continued unabated. Oh...and when he decided to get changed to go out he did so in front of me.
I can't in all honesty get angry about it or take any action, he's an old and somewhat confused man and in the scale of things it was pretty minor stuff but I made my excuses, left and called his daughter to explain why. She of course was mortally embarrassed and concerned and is 'dealing' with him.
I for my part am not going back, when I got home I felt a small degree of that experience we hear abuse victims feel, I just couldn't feel clean despite showering for an extended period, it was a weird experience but I am of course over it now and just glad I don't have to go back.
I might not be able to afford too much in the way of pride but don't need money that badly!
Saturday, 13 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 Comments:
:s ok didn't expect to read this here... i am glad you're feeling a "bit" better, it is traumatic nonetheless. but i have heard that happens as those who are in the stages of dementia forget the boundaries..
and hopefully his daughter will get the help she needs to handle the situation. :)
*hug*!!!
::shivers::
That sounds very creepy!
YIKES! You lasted a lot longer then I would have...glad you never have to go back!!
oh gosh, that's a hard one to deal with. the only consolation is that after a while you will look back and laugh!
sometimes my dad forgets- my mother has some household help with the same name as me and I am sure he is very confused by her. Thinks she is masquerading as me ... until he forgets and thinks she is me!
Too bad you can't go in to clean while he's not at home.
I'll email you my address and I promise to stay outside your "circle of comfort." Would 4,000 miles be ok ?!
But I can't promise NOT to take a sneaky peek at your butt from time to time. Oh and don't worry about the camera - there's no film in it ! Honest.
Seriously though, sorry you had that experience and your 'forgiveness' says more about you than his inappropriate behaviour said about him, old or not.
Post a Comment