Among all the horrible-ness of yesterday there was one very pleasant surprise and from probably my least expected source!
The day started at nine with my three monthly 'hauling over the coals' DWP interview. My experience of these thus far has been pretty appalling, I have been condescended too, treated with contempt and ill manners and generally humiliated by staff who have the customer facing skills of an angry rhinoceros on previous occasions but yesterday it was different, very much so!
The lady who conducted my interview was well spoken, polite, knew her stuff and most of all was very sympathetic to my current situation and the pressures that creates in my ability to find work and in the event that I do, to manage it alongside my current stressful home situation. Add to that she discussed with me various other options, explained aspects of the system I was unaware of and made all manner of helpful suggestions!
I left feeling a little more positive and hopeful and with a degree of pressure lifted from my shoulders, I had anticipated the usual dreadful and stressful hour of unhelpful annoyance, but for once my expectations were proven wrong.
It is of course not a good indictment of the system that this experience is so rare but I am thankful for small mercies and credit where it's due, this lady was, albeit seemingly a rare breed within government departments, excellent, helpful and saved my day!
Friday, 12 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 Comments:
I bet you felt like falling on her neck with gratitude! It is, as you say, a sad indictment of public services today that this is such a rare experience. Let's hope she has given you some useful suggestions and that you see her for subsequent interviews. :)
Jenny: I did, I could have cuddled her!! In fact, at one point I thought I might burst into stupid girly tears I was so relieved! Thankfully I didn't! heh.
Tears are OK. Even big hairy men do it
Post a Comment