Monday, 15 March 2010

Then and now - a happy tale

By some unexpected and circuitous route I found, by chance, a friend on Facebook in the latter part of last week, who I last saw when I was about sixteen years old!

If I'm honest I almost didn't press the 'add as friend' button assuming he wouldn't remember me, let alone want to catch up but my curiosity got the better of me and I did...still however pretty sure the request would be ignored or prompt a 'who are you' response.

No such thing!

Within minutes I got a lovely reply and immediately the reminiscing mails began to go backwards and forwards. Not only did he remember me, he remembered lots about me and the stuff we used to do when we hung out all those years ago. For those of you who have me on Facebook, that's what prompted the publication of the rather embarrassing teenage and childhood photos suddenly! (Yes, you only get the one here!)

We also it transpired, have some pretty difficult experiences in common. Despite his not living in the area any longer, two years ago he went through exactly the same illness with a parent, in exactly the same hospice, as I just have.

That was lunch time, at around 11pm we finally stopped mailing, only to continue, if at something of a slower pace, ever since!

He's an accomplished artist now, has moved away and leads a very interesting life but he's still the same guy and it has been so much fun catching up and chattering. All those years back we really just hung out in the same crowd and albeit we 'got on' we were never best buddies, now though we appear to get on like a house on fire and it's been like a small breath of fresh air in my somewhat currently mundane life!

Who would have thought Facebook could manage something so cool? Not me that was for sure!

5 Comments:

Suburban Mum said...

Digging those flares!

I love it when Facebook creates a happy story instead of all the crap it gets usually, because of people who abuse it. So nice to reacquaint yourself with an old friend.

Kat said...

AWESOME pic! Love it! So glad you reconnected with a childhood(teenhood) friend! I hope you all continue to chat!

Jack said...

Awesome pic. It's been ages since I've seen "elephant bells."

That's BELLS, mind you. Keep your mind from the gutter . . .

Mr. Nighttime said...

I'm diggin the bell bottoms. "That 70's Show" has nothing on you. I'm going to show you something via FB...

Gary said...

That's a great story. I've been able to connect with a few people from when I was growing up in England, and meet new people through You Tube in response to a video tour of the town I made on my last trip home in 2009. I hope you and your friend can stay in touch. I occasionally enter names from my past into FB, but haven't felt too compelled to add many of them. I have trouble remembering the correct spellings of old girlfriend names and would think most of them would not be pleased to hear from me. I like Facebook though.