Saturday, 6 March 2010

Happy things!

If you read here regularly you might recall all the excitement when my best friend Lisa came to visit here last year from Nebraska on two occasions..... and the subsequent news of her engagement to Ian and then their prolonged dealings with U.S immigration. Finally he managed to emigrate and they got married last November.

Well yesterday I received an email from them titled 'Happy things' which included the photo below and news of the fact that yesterday they had delivered into their hands...... the long awaited green card!!

How cool and completely excellent is that? Ian is an American now!!

Congratulations guys, a very happy thing indeed.


Proof that there can be happy endings! :)

10 Comments:

Kat said...

Good For Ian!! Welcome To America..I hope We don't dissappoint!
kat

Punctuation said...

Heh, heh - well a little while to go (three years) before I properly become an American but yes, for now I am definitely a Legal Permanent Resident which means Lisa and I get to stay together without any chance of us being split up by Government paperwork. :-)

Proper lover story and everything... awwww.

Mr. Nighttime said...

Ian - (In my best Darth Vader voice) "You are not a Jedi yet." ;-)

Welcome to America, and give it a few years, and you'll be okay. You might enjoy this post from another expat Brit in San Francisco, as she discusses some of the interesting language differences she has encountered:

http://littleredboat.co.uk/?p=3151

gemmak said...

Kat: As far as I can tell theres' no chance of that! :)

Ian: It's close enough to being an American for me, the risk factor is gone :)

Mr N. Like the voice! ;)

Punctuation said...

Ah yes, I wrote a really long piece on Facebook about the fact that on average Brits make the mistake of thinking the USA is basically Britain with better weather rather than a wholly foreign country that almost speaks the same language.

It's as foreign as France, Italy or Spain and quite often the ability to speak English is a hindrance as people assume they understand you when they, in fact, do not. My accent is a fairly clear British English and yet I still get frequent problems with my new homelanders misunderstanding me - for example trying to buy a packet of Butter Fingers for my stepdaughter last night at "the movies" which took three attempts before the cashier understood my request. (Butter Fingers are like Penguin chocolate bars with a peanut butter filling).

It is nice though to be continually told "you have such a pretty accent"... every day. :-)

gemmak said...

I like the sound of those butter finger things!!! ;)

Jack said...

I guarantee that if Ian decides to take the citizenship test, he will know more about our government than 80% of our citizens.

On the other hand, he thought that Mary, Queen of Scots was Elizabeth I's sister. ;o}

http://www.butterfinger.com/Butterfinger.aspx

Anonymous said...

She was her secret sister. Honest. Ahem. ;-)

gemmak said...

Buuldog/Punctuation: Lol, big funny :) Love the look of the butterfinger things...I need me some of those. Hide some in your case next time you come to the UK please? ;)

Gary S. said...

That's very cool. I got mine in 87, and took citizenship in 1998. I miss the UK sometimes, but really love America. Congratulations to your friends on this.