As is my way in these days of unemployment, yesterday afternoon I spent some time just sitting in the sun in the local park, reading a book and watching the world and the ducks go by.
As ever there was the usual mix of small children playing, babies in pushchairs, teenagers 'hanging out' and the more senior among us just enjoying the sun and the chance to take the air for a while.
A short distance from me I noticed a courting couple, as ever there is dotted around the place, lying in the sun on the grass happily enjoying a moment or two of sun-bathed cuddles. Contrary to those who disapprove of such public displays of affection I actually quite like to see it, it's a small reminder that there are still happy things in the world and that love does still exist...all is not lost. Ok, it might in part make me feel a little lonely in my current situation sometimes but I still find it a nice sight.
But, I digress. This particular couple it transpired were to give me a moment of feeling maybe things in this strange old world we inhabit are improving in some respects, that just maybe we are moving forward and in a positive fashion.
It was only a while later as I walked passed these two individuals that I realised two things, the first was that they were both guys and the second was that one of them was caucasian and the other Asian.
I'm sure there will be people out there who would have some complaint, we can't I suppose eradicate all homophobia or racism over night but it warmed my heart to see that this particular couple felt relaxed and safe enough together to be as they were and in that little moment and embody some hope that perhaps one day we can live in a world without prejudice.
Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 Comments:
I wish we could get past what is considered 'normal' and 'racist' and just let people be what they want to be... as long as they don't hurt anyone else by their actions I don't see what the problem is anymore than breastfeeding an infant is in public.. what is so wrong with this? Perhaps we all ought to be able to stand back and think before anything is said..
Well said J, hope you ok...
I feel happy for people who have found love!
LOve is Love, no matter how it comes wrapped
I suspect you may be on commission from the people who sell my blood pressure medication?
Post a Comment