Wednesday, 1 July 2009

It takes two to tango!

So, yesterday evening saw my penultimate session with the counsellor charged with helping me sort my tangled brain out subsequent to my being so unceremoniously dumped a few months back. There's only next weeks visit left to attend and then I'm done...well, as 'done' as I'm going to get in the short term.

Was it any use? I began with some degree of scepticism I have to admit and I carried that through the first few meetings but as time has gone on I have to admit it has been useful, very useful in fact.

There is no magic cure for having your emotions so completely messed up, it's hard work and each week I have dreaded it, it's like you almost begin to form a scab over the wound and then someone comes along and picks the damn thing back off again before it's actually finished with the healing process..... but on balance it was worth it, well worth it.

For anyone who has never had the 'pleasure' of counselling it's most unpleasant aspect is that rather than coming out of a session feeling better you usually come out feeling a whole lot worse than you went in, it takes time to understand and process the information and longer still to feel the benefits...but it works, with perseverance.

It's been hard going and I'm not all mended yet, I doubt I will ever be quite the person I was before but I'm getting there gradually and now at least I have the tools to help me move forward.

I have learned a lot, about me, about the situation and about why....most of which it wouldn't be appropriate to 'put out' here but most importantly for me I have finally begun to believe that it wasn't all me.

It takes two to tango.....and all that!

*and to the person who has been there holding my hand metaphorically throughout each session, a massive thank you (you know who you are) you have been truly amazing.

6 Comments:

Jennytc said...

I'm so pleased you have found counselling useful, Jane. Time-limited counselling only begins to scratch the surface, but you have stuck with it, which lots of clients don't do anbd, hopefully, it will help you through the weeks and months ahead.

Sage said...

I will admit to not persisting and I won't know long term whether that was the right idea or not only that after the first (and very patronising session) I felt much less able to cope than before and considered doing something quite unconceivable now.. somewhere inside me is a strong person, just not a very big strong person all the time.. You are right, you are not the only person in the relationship to bear the brunt or blame and hopefully you will only get more positive as time marches onwards... xx

PippaD said...

I hope you don't mind but there is an award for you over at mine...

gemmak said...

Jenny: Time limited is limited as you say but along with the 'previous knowledge' I already have I think I am lucky in that I can combine both and gain more insight hopefully :o)

Sage: There is a strong person inside of you but most of us can't always find that person at precisely the moment we need her...she is there tho and the counselling thing isn't for everyone. The trick is to feel comfortable with the individual to begin with and if you don't it not a helpful start. It does take perseverance and one does come out feeling dreadful often but for reasons I won't go into here I have 'practice' so it a little easier for me. I remember a time I felt just like you about it tho. We each find our own best way in the end and you too are getting there in your best way :o) xx

gemmak said...

PippaD. Of course I don't mind...but I can't find it, which blog?! ;o)

Nicey said...

Well done you, I know what your going through I have done all the councelling stuff, it really helped me to slow down and to like myself. I was described as a human doer not a human being He He ...

After the fist 10 sessions I tried to get the gy to give me some more but he didn't wanna know, maybe i was just to hard work / messed up !!!
Laters

Nicey