Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Jealousy and 'Jane days'

'Jane Days'....what on earth am I talking about you may well ask....well let me explain, though I warn you, you may need a certain degree of similar insanity as I to get where I am coming from here!

The question, 'what are Jane Days'? arose yesterday when I made reference to them in all innocence on Twitter and suddenly found myself having to explain to various people who, er, strangely had no idea what I was talking about! Ok, maybe not so strange. I never claimed to be entirely sane though did I?

So....this is how it works, first, those of you who don't know already, need to know that my real name is Jane. I never mentioned it here before, it was an internet security 'ism' I harboured for years but it's been mentioned so often in my comments etc. now that it's become academic.

Jane days are a coping mechanism, designed in my odd little mind years ago to get through periods in my life when I desperately wanted to get to a particular day and the days just weren't going fast enough to that date. I have always been a 'counter', counting down the weeks, days, hours etc. to an important event and 'Jane Days' made the period between the present and the event seem shorter and hence less depressing. It's simple really and it works like this;
Lets say you are desperate to get to Friday and it's only Monday, it's misery making to realise that's five whole days, but it's not, it's really only three, well three 'Jane Days', because if you are already at Monday there is no need to count it, it's already as good as done (see, one less day already) and if the event you are waiting for is on the Friday, you don't count that day either, there is no need because the nice thing you have been waiting for and counting down too, will be happening on that day!

See, instantly your nasty five day wait is transformed into just a mere three day wait and it sounds way less depressing as you await your longed for event!! It works with whole weeks too! It's something I have always done, a little psychological trickery that in my little mind actually helps.... and Fletch, who know me only too well, began years ago referring to them as 'Jane Days' when utilising the system for my benefit!

Hey.....I did warn you I am not entirely sane!

But, why was I mentioning Jane Days yesterday and why the reference to 'jealousy' in the title of this post? Well tomorrow morning Punctuation will fly from Heathrow to to the U.S. to spend Christmas with Lisa and when he began counting down the last few days until his flight I offered up the 'Jane Days theory' to shorten his wait! ( he now doubts my sanity too I suspect)...as I mentioned earlier thought, I happened to do it on Twitter, which resulted in a number of confused queries and hence my explanation now!

And the jealousy? Well whilst I am looking forward to my own Christmas, I soooo wish I was flying out there too tomorrow to see Lisa again, her summer visit here seems a long time ago now....unfortunately I'm just not quite small enough to squash into Punctuations case un-noticed! ;o)

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

No more Jane days until I fly to her!!! Woo hoo!!!

I checked the baggage allowance - technically you are small and light enough to bring as carry-on luggage but, sadly, I have to also takes such lovely things as pressies and underwear (see how I'm learning not to call them "pants").

gemmak said...

Punctuation: Wooo hoooo!! :o) ...but how dare you take presents and 'pants' instead of me! ;o)

Sage said...

Love the use of Jane days... and why not have a mechanism for managing the countdown process... if that makes me as bad as you then so be it.. after all, I can't be the only one to say Wednesday is the start of the downhill slope to the weekend to make it reasonably bearable on Thursday.

ps - punctuation, have a happy holiday - see not politically correct to say happy christmas publicly in the states...lol

Michelle said...

*GASP*! You came out! ;o)

Lisa said...

Sage - Why not? Merry Christmas... Happy Holidays... Feliz Navidad. It's all the same. :-)

Gem - I think "Jane days" make perfect sense. :) And I don't think that's worrying, either. :P

Anonymous said...

oh yes, The Boy and I do that too!!

Jack said...

We really don't say "Happy Christmas" in the U.S.

It's not because of the few killjoys - mostly ill-educated politicians and publicity-seeking gadabouts - who try to enforce the "no Merry Christmas," though.

It's because "Happy Christmas" is generally a British greeting. Ours is "Merry Christmas."

It's another one of those trunk/boot, hood/bonnet, elevator/lift thingies. :o}

Oh, and I hope Punctuation has packed every warm item of clothing he owns. The temperature in Omaha the next week or so will range from -8 C to +4 C. At least he will miss the really cold weather (-25 C).

gemmak said...

Michelle: Lol...too funny, shurrup you! ;o) heh.

Lisa: But you are as daft as me girl! ;o)

PJB: Lol...and it works doesn't it?! heh

Ndinombethe said...

I do that too - never named them though - brilliant!

But I go one step further. I don't count the day I'm packing either! (If I'm honest, I can't really trick my brain into believing that one, the packing day, but the rest works a charm!

Mr. Nighttime said...

Jane days, hmm? I have a fridge magnet that says "Denial is a God-given survival tool."

I just deny that the days in between waiting for a particular day to arrive even exist.

Hey, it works for me. ;-)

Daisy said...

Hmm, this means, by my calculation, that there is only one Daisy Day until Christmas!!!!

gemmak said...

Mr N: Lol...I'm not so good at that method!

Daisy: Indded...there is only one 'Daisy day' (that sounds better than 'Jane Day') until Christmas now :o)

Lisa said...

Pardon? Did you just call me "daft"? How very dare you. (you have to say this in a very ritzy British accent. Pretend you're the Queen. lol)

Oddly enough, I say "Happy Christmas" quite often. I think it sounds more cheerful than "Merry".

See? Daft. :P

Happy Festivus!

gemmak said...

Lisa: Ohhhh, I like your English accent! ;o) heh.

Jack said...

English with an Omaha twinge. Very nice.