Monday, 22 December 2008

'Hallelujah' - Cover your ears Mr Buckley!

The news that my lifetime favourite song, 'Hallelujah', the piece of musical magic penned by happy boy Cohen, that means much to me and has the ability to move me to a thousand emotions in an instant has been annihilated by X Factor contestant Alexandra Burke, has not pleased me. The fact that her version has made it to the number one spot has pleased me even less!

Ms. X Factor has taken a beautiful, meaningful piece of musical art and turned it into a meaningless piece of commercial, power ballad crap that we will now have to suffer over the festivities each time the radio is turned on....mine is being turned very firmly off for the duration. For me it borders on the offensive, Lord knows what Cohen thinks about it and Jeff Buckley must be turning in his grave poor man! This girl patently doesn't have even the slightest notion or understanding of what the lyrics are about....and it shows!

The only saving grace in the whole sorry situation is that Buckley's version has chased this latest horror up the charts and sits in the number two spot, so hopefully those who think Ms Burke's offering is acceptable will also get a chance to hear what it should really sound like!

...and for anyone who isn't familair with how it should sound or would just like six minutes of pure pleasure, I offer for your musical delectation, 'Hallelujah' by the brilliant Jeff Buckley. Enjoy....


....or for an even better live version go HERE.

Magical.

9 Comments:

Silvia said...

It's all comercial clap trap and the only reason that fantastic songs, with 'real' lyrics by REAL artists get masacred and mutilated by so called singers is Money!!!It's diabolical

Michelle said...

I agree, Buckleys version is a cut above no other.

Anonymous said...

I'm coming back to hear this when I'm not at work! I'd prefer Lennie's version myself but will accept Mr Buckley as a substitute!!

belleek

Silverback said...

I rushed straight to your blog when I saw the UK charts and that 3 versions of this song had made it into the Top 40.....seeing as old smiley face himself had made it to No.36. That at least should please you.

As I said before when you mentioned him, I've never listened to an LC song but may give this Hallelujah one a try.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear Lord! I couldn't have said it better myself! Now I may be guilty of voting for the dancers in the latest rigged voter show but I can honestly say, hand on heart, I had nothing to do with this! :o) My music is precious!

Unknown said...

Sorry. The Buckly version is the better of the two new versions but neither hold a candle to Old Laughing Boy's original version. Too organised is the major fault; the long intro on Buckleys is and example. Lennie gets straight in and grabs you right from then.

Kitty said...

Maybe it's just my general mood and state of mind at the moment but I had tears streaming down my face the whole time listening to that.

gemmak said...

Kitty: It does that to me too, probably not the best song when we have the miseries! ;o)

Anonymous said...

The X-Craptor version of said tune is the 'Stock Aitken and Waterman' pulp offering, talent-less, contrived and poppy. I’ve got the funny feeling it wouldn’t please the Lord either and I really hope we don’t have to hear this particular tosh offering every Christmas!)

Mr.Cohen’s original, like many of his other offerings is a semi-religious song, a tribute to his amazing lyrical ability, meaningful and sincere.

Buckey 90’s offering twists LC Lyrics, substitutes a lot of them and Metamorphosises the song from its original religion bias to one of broken love, with a subtle change of inference to the word ‘Hallelujah’ from the spiritual to one the implies ‘Joy’ (The true meaning of the word).

Maybe it’s a generation thing. but Buckley’s is the best version hands down and easily the greatest cover ever made. And Grace for those who remember it, is a fantastic debut solo album.