I really begin to feel like The Clampetts in my damn car these days, I seem rarely to use it at the moment, but whenever I do it doesn't fail in it's ability to disappoint one way or another!In the knowledge that yesterday I was visiting my parents, which involves a 180 mile drive, I decided on the previous day that I should take the crap car out 'just to check' it was in working order....and what I had intended to be a half hour outing turned into a whole day's debacle of hassle, stress and aggravation. Was the crap car in working order??....was it hell!
I had driven only five miles when suddenly a loud 'crack' sounded from the rear and in my mirror I witnessed the rear wiper flying through the air, gone forever. Bugger I thought, oh well, that's easily fixed, I'll sort it on my way home. I made it to my destination, Tesco's, did the shopping thing and set off in search of a new part. I had hardly hit the motorway again when I discovered that my nearside indicator had gone the way of the wiper and was making no effort whatsoever to indicate. Kaput! Bugger again! Mental note, 'Add to list of parts to buy, a new bulb'....and within seconds of that thought another loud clattering noise began emitting scarily from somewhere about me!
Moments later, with even more clattering, and before I had time to pull over anywhere to investigate the noise, a rather large 'bit of something' flew at high velocity off the side of the car and was to be seen, again in my rear view mirror, hurtling down the carriage-way and into a hedge! FFS!!!
I pulled over at the first opportunity and scrambled out into the rain, planted myself upside down in the mud and muck - oh joy - to investigate and discovered that the departing part had been a section of wheel arch and the remaining piece was dangling unhelpfully against the tyre, it's fixing grommets very absent! Exasperated I gave it a hard kick, temporarily securing it behind the body work...and carried on on my search for now more parts.
En-route I decided to check my tyre pressures, even that wasn't simple. The first place I tried the machine was defunct and the second had such a long queue that people were becoming fraught with one another and small arguments began to erupt. I opted to use the car wash first and go back to the air after that....next small disaster...the car wash broke with me in it! Arghhhh! Thankfully it didn't trap me inside and there was another, but I had to fight the attendant to issue me with another ticket! It was beginning to feel very much like it was one of those days I just shouldn't have got out of bed at all!
Eventually, by now very rankled, I emerged clean from the wash and pumped up my tyres, things were looking up....until when emptying the car ashtray I dropped it into the bottom of the cavernous bin and had to hang upside down on the edge with my whole body poking through the little hole in the side to retrieve it! Don't laugh!
The rest is a blur, I got lost trying to find Halfords so abandoned that plan and instead found a local car parts emporium, where I was provided with the wiper...only to find I didn't have enough money to pay for it and had to rush off to the bank and go all the way back. The indicator light wasn't the bulb but a corroded connection requiring more than a quick fix and the wheel arch was history, new parts not available and duct tape seemed to be the only short term solution on offer!
By the time I got home it was dark and I was completely fraught and frazzled, my half hour trip had taken most of the day and my car was hung together with tape, I was feeling less than 'chipper' to say the least. There is always an upside though. I did manage to make it to my parents yesterday, which had I not 'tested' the car the previous day I wouldn't have, a good time was had, we bought a Christmas tree and got it decorated and I only had to stop three times on my travels to boot the dangling arch back behind the metal work!!!
The Clampetts have nothing on me man!


9 Comments:
I know you told me not to, but I'm laughing out loud here! Don't be mad...you brightened my day! I mean really, nothing that can happen to me today can top that!
Make friends with a RAF bloke and get him to write you up some pre-flight checks!
And, after that, you still fixed my blog! Wonder Woman Mk 2
Someone needs a new car for Christmas !
The most amazing part of that story was that after all those bits voluntarily flew off your car, you still felt comfortable taking it into a car wash......a place that will rip the parts of even the newest vehicle.
Brave lady indeed.
Oh, poor you! What a day! By the way, don't you just love Silverback's very diplomatic way of slapping your wrist? ;)
Oi you....stop mixing it. What a cheek. I've never been called diplomatic before !!
Oh how bizarre....the word verification I've been asked to type for this comment is gatour. Hehe.
Oh dear. What a hideous day. Glad you managed to get to your parents ok though.
What a terribly funny (and unfortunate) tale! I only laugh because I completely understand your vehicle troubles and frustrations, as my car has had to be towed and repaired 4 times in the past year. It's rather nerve racking to drive as I never really know what's going to go wrong next. *sigh*
Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and reading my blog and I'm glad you like it so far. There's much more to come :)
And your blog is great as well. I stopped by earlier and read quite a bit. You are a fantastic story teller.
OMG, Jane! OMG!! I had some Clampett-aspirers for cars in my heyday, but I cannot hold a candle to this experience. Well, maybe ... On my way to my (first) wedding, my car motor caught fire on the highway. That, however, was a sign from God and not simple mechanical problems. Pity I didn't listen to The Big Man. LOL.
Love the comparison between the clampetts and your car... sorry you had such a fraught day, hope it can be resolved quickly for you.
Post a Comment