Wednesday, 10 December 2008

A question of 'cooties'

Until yesterday I hadn't even heard of 'cooties', I think maybe it's an American thing, or maybe I'm just dumb but whatever, the question is this, are they real? There seems to be some difference of opinion, Wikipedia tell me they are an imaginary thing, kinda like we would say we have the 'lurgy', but others say they exist!

So do they or don't they? What's the Cootie thing all about? Would anyone like to enlighten a dumb Brit please?

Oh.....and whilst I was 'researching' cooties I found this amusing little item;

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooties are nits. As in headlice. "You have cooties in your hair" (not a problem I could suffer from, obviously).

:-)

Sage said...

Like punctuation, I always thought of Cooties as being bugs, either fleas, nits or crabs.. if you are scratching you would be asked if you were suffering with cooties... have always used this expression in my family.

Daisy said...

Cooties are little germs that only BOYS get! They are very colorful, red, yellow, green and blue. If you want, you can get a game called "Cooties." Once the game cootie gets all his legs, his head, his curled-up tongue and his antennae, then you WIN!

Julian Meteor said...

ROFFLE MCWOFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The FIRST time I ever heard of them was in Pulp Fiction!!!!

BRILLIANT film lol

I hope you are all well xxx

J

PS Are any of you single?

Debby said...

Cooties are very real if you're 8 years old. If a boy touches you (heaven forbid!) you'd get cooties. It was very important to have 'cootie protection'. That varied from a dot on your hand made with an illegal ballpoint pen (when you're 8 you use pencil...at least in the Catholic school you did!), to something tied around your wrist. Didn't matter what it was, if you declared it was 'cootie protection' you were indeed protected. They only exist in the young childs imigination. Brings a smile to my face remembering though. Glad you posted!

Debby said...

OMG I should have watched your YouTube vid first! I have tears in my eyes. That was precious!

Daisy said...

Hahahaha! Debby, I forgot all about "Cootie Protection"!

P said...

first of all, the video? effin' hilarious!!!

secondly, did you never read american books as a kid??? i'm sure that's where my knowledge of what cooties was ie nits came from . . .

Anonymous said...

I'm with Debby... cooties = imaginary germs, mostly. They can also be nits (like the punc-man said), but we prefer them to be imaginary :)