Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Afghanistan - The ultimate price

The politics of war are complicated, doubtless if they weren't the conflicts would not be conflicts in the first place and no matter which war or where, whether the reasons are valid in our opinion or whether we agree or disagree with the principles of an individual situation, one thing doesn't ever change..... and that is simply that the guys and gals out there at the sharp end, and their families back home, show immense courage and fortitude, regardless of their own political views.

These are the people we depend on to face the dangers and hardships when we agree with the reasons for a given conflict and as such they deserve our support just the same when we don't. We live in a democracy and whilst I'm not naive about how much of a democracy it actually is, it is the one we have and it beats many other options.

Those serving in war zones have no more choice in where they serve and why they find themselves in a particular place than the rest of us do and as such, regardless of the politics we should be proud of their efforts and of their bravery, maybe even more so for just that reason, they have no choice in where they serve but they serve nonetheless with the same courage and skill regardless of their personal feelings.

Situations such as have occurred in the UK recently, where service personnel, far from being able to show pride, have been advised not to wear uniform in public because of the risk of assault in showing publicly that they are members of the armed forces, I find utterly repulsive and appalling! Yes, they make the choice to serve but not the choice as to where they serve. and we should be proud of our service men and women and those of our allies because it is they, not you or I or the politicians in their ivory towers, that face the true horrors of war and it is they, not us who pay the ultimate price.


Rest in peace CPT Rob Yllescas.

5 Comments:

Jennytc said...

I agree totally, Jane. Elder Son is in the army and has done 2 tours in Iraq. I keep hoping he won't be sent to Afghanistan.

Daisy said...

You said it real good!

Arthur Clewley said...

The people who were killed in London and who will doubtless be killed elsewhere as a result of iraq and afganistan had even less choice in the matter, and no weapons, no training, no armour, no air support either

gemmak said...

Jenny: I hope not too, it must be very difficult for the families of forces personnel. Fingers crossed eh.

Daisy: Thank you.

Arthur Clewey: Agreed, I feel the same about anyone who suffers as the result of a conflict, on any side. The innocent don't deserve to suffer, but by the same token neither do members of the forces, would you not agree?

Jack said...

J,

Agreed. I work with Navy and Marines every day. I also remember when the troops came home from Vietnam, and were treated like trash. Right or wrong wars, the troops are doing their duty. Anyone who demeans them is simply and purely a waste of oxygen.