Thursday, 4 December 2008

Too soon was the cry!

Christmas that is! How is it that the Christmas's of recent years have developed this nasty habit of stealth? They seem to creep up on me silently and then suddenly pounce, taking me by surprise and causing a state of last minute panic. I used to be organised, I used to have every last detail planned with military precision.... but no longer it seems. There is only twenty one days left now until the zero hour and I am apparently completely incapable of getting my mind into any semblance of Christmas order whatsoever. It's just coming way too soon and I'm not ready for it, at all!

Not so much as a card has been purchased let alone written, our brief endeavour at getting a tree fell into disarray within minutes when we both lost patience with the pushing and shoving hordes of a Sunday afternoon's retail delight and try as I might, I am utterly clueless and without inspiration as to what might be provided as gifts for one and all. Despite hours surfing the interweb for ideas and scanning pages of glossy catalogues that promise to solve all my present problems I have achieved nothing, nada, zip!

I suspect, this year, as last, the situation will only be resolved by a week or two more of blind panic, of trying to shoe-horn myself into the Christmas spirit and then finally, with only a day or two left, making a mad and protracted dash around Milton Keynes shopping mall and spending way too much money because nothing suitable in the gift line is ever within pre-defined budgets! That of course will then be followed by mad dash number two, the one to get all the wrapping and bow tying done and the cards delivered by hand, because of course, I will also have missed the final posting dates!

A final bout of festive panic and mayhem will then doubtless ensue when the sudden realisation hits me that I have forgotten a gift for someone or am missing another item of utmost importance for the (tongue firmly in cheek) 'perfect Christmas experience'..... at a point only hours from having to look cool, collected, serene and full of Christmas cheer and joy!

Panic, panic, panic.

Bah bloody humbug!

5 Comments:

Unknown said...

I have an even shorter fuse on the question of presents. Family now know that unless there is an Amazon Wish List in their name they get rubbish from the "nothing over £1" shop. It seems to have spread to most friends who would ask what son and daughter might like and were directed to the wish list.

Sage said...

Rather you than me heading to Milton Keynes, I would rather face a torrent of ice water and sharks...brrhhh

Daisy said...

We do almost all of our Christmas shopping on-line! And I am afraid we might not put up a tree this year because Harley is still to full of mischief.

Anonymous said...

I'm organised this year for once and I think it's mainly due to how little time I am spending on the interweb! Having said that, www.cheapsmells.co.uk is a pretty handy little website, as is www.pasttimes.co.uk Worth a little look see perhaps? Argos are having a 50% off sale (on selected items) and Boots have some amazing vanity bags with hairdryer, brush, comb etc by names like Lee Stafford (to name one as I can't remember the next... ooh Nicky Clark??) Pretty good if you have any teens or even female friends to buy for. Boots also have some great waterbottles... what? it's a good idea if the temps keep on dipping. Also, TK Maxx have some lovely hat,scarf and glove sets from Kalvin Cline and Billy Bag. Hope I've helped.... a little.
Can you tell I've spent way too much time shopping lately. Ooooooh another ide is, if someone hasn't got Sky tv you can buy free view boxes for £13.00 at argos and the scart lead for only £3.99. I know! :o)
Saw Hammy tonight... he looked as though he had been caught in a catchers mit! lol
xx

P said...

I love buying presents - mainly because i do it all online! The most hassle I have is missing the packages and having to make the trek up to the delivery office for them on the weekend. Far less stressful than braving the busy shops. I HATE crowds!