Tuesday, 2 December 2008

How do you make a hormone?

Don't pay her! Ha!

Sorry, very poor joke but I couldn't resist and there has to be a lighter side to the whole middle years thing than my current state of hormonal madness!

Hormones, who'd have 'em!? The damn things are the bane of my recent life. When we are teenagers and our hormones first start kicking ass and are out of kilter we are told merely that 'it will soon pass', it's 'growing up'. What anyone fails to enlighten us on is that once we hit that 'woman of a certain age' phase in life, things are only going to get a whole lot worse.

Now then you guys, I know it's not all fun and rosy for you being on the receiving end of all this nonsense, you take your fair share of the flak, let's face it, we women can be something of a confusion when we are in, shall we say, a more stable state of hormonal balance so we must be almost impossible to fathom when we lose the chemical balance plot, hell, I can't understand myself let alone expect someone else too much of the time but that said, a little more understanding and a little less derogatory comment and hilarity would be good! ;o)

For me these recent months have suddenly become pretty 'hormonally challenged', gone are the times of a few days mental and physical uproar prior to a period and then happy relief, instead they have been replaced with weeks of the damn carry on and if I'm lucky I might manage a few days break before the whole emotional and physical malarkey begins again. Gone too is any semblance of order or regularity, replaced instead with a completely haphazard timetable of symptoms that mostly just don't have the good grace to bugger off for long at all.

So, next time you guys scathingly make reference to hormones or laugh at our stupidity, you might like to consider trying to live your daily life with a permanent bad skin and hair day, pains in your joints, your abdomen and your thighs, adhoc bruises about your person where a sudden bout of hormonal clumsiness caused you to lose all sense of spatial awareness and bump into things like Mr Blobby on acid, feeling too cold one minute and too damn hot the next, the headache from hell for weeks at a time, feeling like your are about to get a bout of the flu, permanently, retention of enough water to make an adventure trek across the Sahara a distinct possibility and worst of all, fluctuating from feeling angry to weepy at a seconds notice and then back again, for absolutely no reason at all!

Ok, ok I know it sounds pretty funny and weird but the women among you will know where I'm coming from only too well and I'm sure I'm not the only one frustrated by feeling so dysfunctional and out of control. In real terms it is pretty life altering at times, there are things I really could not consider trying to do in this condition because I know I wouldn't be safe, driving for instance, with no spatial awareness takes some degree of courage or stupidity and has to be considered carefully before being undertaken!

So, this is not a 'you don't understand us' whinge, more a little plea for some understanding or sympathy when we apparently behave like we lost all sense of cognitive thought and an acceptance that the phrases along the lines of 'oh, it must be that time of the month again' or 'it's just your hormones' aren't very helpful! Oh, and our ability to think is not affected....just our reaction to that thinking....and yes, I know, what a reaction it is sometimes!

I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of it that's for sure, but I would prefer it, I suspect, to being on the end I am! All this and for what? I didn't even get to make any use of my damnable reproductive system!

And don't please, anyone suggest HRT...I'm not allowed, my family medical history makes it not an option.

Me? Bad tempered? Perish the thought. Chocolate! where's the freakin chocolate!

13 Comments:

Jennytc said...

Someone recently recommended Soya Isoflavones to me, Jane and after years of trying Black Cohosh and various other herbal remedies with little improvement, this is the best I have tried. You can get the capsules at health food shops. Also, I started using soya milk in tea (not coffee as it curdles). Less coffee and cutting down smoking is always advised too. Hope this helps. Mind you, the hot flushes are handy in very cold weather. ;)

Silverback said...

The two women next to me here are nodding knowingly. Actually it's triggered a VERY heated discussion and I suspect that some of the heat is....well no, I'll not continue.

Mainly they've given me dire warnings NOT to leave any sort of pithy comment on this post so I'll just say......have a nice day, and move quietly along.

Trac said...

"Less coffee and cutting down smoking!??"
Just what you wanted to hear! ;O)


Talking of which, I had to fast for some blood tests today. You should have seen the state of me without caffeine. It was awful.

I've been making up for it ever since!

Anonymous said...

Girls
are
yucky.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Man, can I relate? Yes I can.
I have been going through the change for nearly three years now. My doctor told me as much, (Please don't tell me I am too young... becuase I'm obviously not! Although I wish I were..) I get periods, nice and regular, then I get them that last the entire month like a period reversal....then, just for good measure, they stop for three months. When this happens, the pregnancy test company start paying overtime and booking holidays to the Maldives, susidised by me... Of course, I keep telling myself that in order to be pregnant you have to have had sex but my muddled mind doesn't understand.
So, I understand the nuttiness, the sadness, the screaming, the tossing and turning on a night time. My hubby knows when it's my time of the month depending on how much room in the bed I take up. If it's _that time_ he gets the edge of one side of a Kingsize bed!
Well we may not get the male understanding because we are yucky. (Thanks punctuation ;o) but at least we have eachother...

gemmak said...

Jenny: Thank you for that, I'll try and find some of those and give it a go....soya milk ditto but the smoking and coffee might present more of a problem....worth a try tho :o)

Silverback: Lol....I'm with your female company...no pithy comments! heh. Who won the 'discussion'? ;o)

Trac: Lol...no not exactly!!!! heh. I can only imagine your distress at the fasting, that's probably worse than the hormone issue!! :o/

Punctuation:

WE
ARE
NOT
YUKKY!

heh. ;o)

Daffy: Lol @ the 'period reversal', fun isn't it? Not! In fact, lol @ your whole comment, excellent I laughed so much, you obviously know the drill with this hormone stuff and yes, we may not have the male understanding but thankfully we have each other... sistah! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to emphasize that all the symptoms mentioned above are real... (And don't I know! ;o) )

Anonymous said...

I don't feel I risk comment in case the Lady of the House clobbers me!....and she's long past child-bearing years!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I don't get moody. LOL :D

gemmak said...

Fletch: As if ;o)

Harry: Lol, wise move! ;o) Hey....are you the 'Harry' I think you are, would the word 'Foulden' mean anything to you??

gemmak said...

Lisa: Lol...I bet you are *snort* ;o)

Jennytc said...

Forget the hormones - I'm much more interested in the fact that Silverback has TWO women!!

Debby said...

Very accurate description! I would fight you for the 'freakin chocolate' right now!

It helped Silverback to realize that I'm not the ONLY woman in the world going through this right now. I'm afraid he didn't know what hit him when he arrived this year. Who was this woman that greeted him and where did the old one go??? As long as he stays away from my chocolate, makes no reference to the bumps on my face, and basically walks on egg shells...we'll be fine!