Mindful though that his own skills in the kitchen are er, 'infamous' he had charged two of his sisters with journeying up from their homes in central London to chef for the evening!....and what a grand job they did! The food was absolutely fabulous though for yours truly, a very slowly recovering, lifetime veggie, a dish of goat was just one step too far and an 'opportunity' to try something new that I bottled without hesitation!
The evening was a lovely one, much eating, drinking, laughter and stupidity though with an early moment that one just couldn't help being amused at (see, there's my sick sense of humour raising it's head again!) after the event.
One of the guests had with her her eight year old daughter, one of the most delightful children I think I have ever met. Polite, chatty, articulate and well behaved, this kid went to bed at 9 without so much as hint of nonsense, I was impressed! She had been allowed in return for her promised good behaviour to watch The X Factor. This was a 'treat' that was completely lost on me and never having seen it I asked what it was all about.
Her mother gave me a brief explanation of what it is to be an X Factor contestant, adding at the end amusingly that it seems all contestants have to, besides having some 'talent', also have a tragic life story to go with it, hopefully one assumed to illicit the sympathy vote if the talent aspect fails them!
At this point delightful small child piped in, full of jollity and in that 8 year old matter of fact way that they have, "I could be on the X Factor then, I have a tragic life story, my dad died when I was one and a half years old"!!!
*Insert moment of stunned, embarrassed silence*
Now I already knew this, but the other guests didn't, hence I managed to recover my thoughts and control my amusement at her so innocently dropping this bombshell into the middle of the previously light hearted conversation quicker than the others and hit back in that stunned moment of silence with, "ah yes, but can you sing?!"
Moment over, conversation resumed, inaudible sigh of relief around the room.
Out of the mouths of babes and all that...can't help but love it!


6 Comments:
Ohhhhh Curry Goat (always written, for some reason with the word "curry" first - not sure why) is DELICIOUS. The local market butcher used to sell goat and I bought it every other week to make it. Yum!
p.s. Could she sing?
Punctuation: Lol...the rest of the crowd would agree with you, delicious,I reserve judgement! heh.
Could she sing? She maintined she could but we didn't get proof, her mother swiftly moved the conversation in another direction!
Oh, I could not eat goat, because two of my best friends are goats. Their names are Bob and Patrick.
What a wonderful evening all round, so rarely do you get charming 8 year olds. FAZ
Daisy... Bob the Goat!!! What!!! 'Bob'!!! Tell me he hasn't got any arms or legs please! :O)))
Ciao Ciao
Ooh, quick thinking saves the day, Gemma! Well done! ;)
Goat? In principle I wouldn't mind it .. after all, a lot of billygoats are born in milking herds, so it's using meat which would otherwise be wasted, and they're kind of traditional farm animals. It's just that I'm incredibly wary of trying new foods in case I turn out to be allergic to them. :(
Sounds like you had a good time, anyway!
Post a Comment