My utter dislike of the necessary and regular trips to a hairdresser has been well documented here, including on this, this and this occasion, I just don't like it!
I don't of course have a problem with having a tidy barnet, hey, I'm a woman but I just can't be doing with all the inane chat and faffing, I want my hair cut, nothing less and certainly nothing more, if I wanted any other service I would ask for it, I don't need to be asked repeatedly if I want a colour/highlights/lowlights/treatments/manicure/pedicure/wax or any other of the myriad procedures on offer, I just want my bloody hair cut! I don't want pampering, I don't want treating like a faux princess and I don't want to waste any more time in there than is absolutely necessary! Please, in peace and quiet and without the unending, brain numbing blether regarding the booking status of my next summer holiday!
Hell, I have made a polite effort, I have even tried answering that one from time to time but the dumb blond wielding the scissors (ok, before someone takes me to the politically correct hair stylist police I know not all hairdressers fit the stereotype, just most that I have the misfortune to be tortured by) has on more than one occasion drifted off into a confused state when I tried to explain the joys of motorcycle touring as opposed to two weeks in Benidorm trying to contract a significant melanoma!
But, things have changed, success at last! I had a plan and a bit of luck and things on the salon visiting front are looking much improved....even to a point that I actually enjoyed yesterday's visit.
The plan; to grow my hair, thus necessitating a few less salon visits per annum.
The luck; The discovery of a hairdresser called 'Sammy'.....a stunning looking twenty something with a brain and a sense of humour, who talks about motorbikes, computers and travelling, who has a sense of reality about her profession, doesn't attempt to sell me 'product', has hamsters and kittens and makes a half decent, gratis, cup of coffee!
This girl is a star, we were reduced to something akin to raucous schoolgirls laughing and giggling for an hour and to add to my delight, as the result of a booking mix up I won't bore you with the details of, she gave me the full works, including the only 'add-on' I enjoy, an Indian (I don't know what defines it as 'Indian' but I don't care, it's good) head massage, for the price of just a cut!
I am impressed, very impressed, my first enjoyable 'hair salon event' has happened with none of the incumbent inanity, none of the usual disasters I seem to have encountered in these establishments over the years and not a single mention of the Benidorm word!
Wednesday, 26 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 Comments:
Why don't you ladies realise that we love you all, no matter what your hair is like!
yay for good hairdressers! I'm actually waiting until i'm back in the UK to get mine cut, that's how much I love her!
Must be something to do with the name Sammy... it's a good one ;)
Daisy's mom here:
I hate going to the hair salon, too. Once, in an effort to avoid going, I decided to grow my hair really long. It's completely straight and I grew it to the middle of my back. Then, about every 2 months, I would take scissors and trim the ends myself. It took no styling or anything. Finally I realized I looked ridiculous with such long hair and gave in and got it cut. Back to haircuts every 6-8 weeks now.
"trying to contract a significant melanoma"..."snort"
I would honestly rather go to the dentist than the hairdressers.
What don't they understand about about the words...
"Just a trim"
or
"No thanks, I don't want any product(s)"
At least with the dentist, you can feel proud of yourself for going in the first place.
Haircutting is easy.
My Wife gets the clippers, turns them on, goes front to back and left to right. 5 mins later Job done.
Dunno what all the fuss is about.
My top tip: I go into a Zen like state and excuse myself by saying, "I find having my hair washed so relaxing, I can't help snoozing - so don't be offended if I fall asleep. Just carry on..."
Works a treat xx
Post a Comment