Thursday, 13 November 2008

Don't be fooled!

Whilst I suspect that the acquisition of a hamster in your life is probably not top priority, the slightest possibility that it may be at some point in the future requires that I warn you of a route not to take! That route is one Fletch and I fell into spectacularly.....the marketing of the required hamster 'pied a terre', specifically the 'Habitrail Ovo', must have hamster home.

It might look pretty funky as hamster homes go, it might be fun for it's resident and it might include a silent wheel but what the marketing does not tell you is that to clean it (which is a twice weekly necessity) requires it to be dismantled into this monstrous heap of 71 parts, all requiring washing, drying and then re-assembling! Really, 71 cats would be less hassle!

Un surprisingly cleaning and reassembling duties are designated as 'woman's work' in gemmak's-ville but from time to time 'himself' considers extension options and opportunities for this residence, to include further rooms for superior hamster entertainment and the ultimate hamster lifestyle.

Ummmmm.....let me think about that one! ;o)

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

JFDI!!!

;o)

gemmak said...

Fletch: LOL...the words 'poke' and 'eye' come to mind! ;o) heh.

Anonymous said...

I'd say get a cage but there is something funky about that Nasa space age thingy.
My incontinent hamster needs cleaning out daily at the mo... perhaps I'll stick with the cage then.
(It does look great all unassembled though!)

gemmak said...

Daffy: I would stick with the cage!! Looks good unassembled? Lol...wanna come assemble it?! heh

Daisy said...

I was just going to say that I think the habitat looks very cool, but then I read about all the cleaning! My Mommie used to have a gerbil. Since they are desert animals, they hardly make any potty at all and the cage stays very clean for a long time. I wish I could have my very own gerbil.

Anvilcloud said...

It was good of you to surface. Enjoy the rodent. :)

Anonymous said...

a) Of course cleaning is women's work - we men have things with much greater gravitas to contend with. Ug. Rarrr. We do the sport, computer games, beer and body music - you do the domestic stuff. It's the law.

b) Tape those scratchy sponge things to the hamster and lessen the work by 50%.

c) You luv it, now get back in the kitchen. Rarrr. :-)

Anonymous said...

twice a week? that's a bit much, innit? Ooh, you definitely need something lower maintenance like the cats!

JFD?????

belleek

Black Cat said...

Hamster heaven, human hell, clearly!

Don't know why I've only just got round to visiting your blog since I've seen your comments quite often round the cat blogosphere. Your profile image fascinates me, it's very clever and funny. I often spend quite a long time watching it... As you can probably tell, I don't get out much!

I, like Belleek, am curious about JFDI. Pinky and I have some initials we use like that, but they're too rude for public translation, heehee! Is Fletch's like that?

Anonymous said...

Big cage, plenty of tube runs and suchlike made of loo rolls, kitchen towel rolls, cardboard 'tins' etc. Throw away when soiled and make another.

That's what we used to do with Son No. 1's mice! LOL!

Anonymous said...

J.F.D.I. Biz Talk... :o/

Started life as on of those trendy nonsense Biz Acronyms "Just Focus and Do It"...

Obviously for modern times, replace the 'Focus' with something far more robust and to the point... (Rhymes with 'Duck'!)

gemmak said...

Daisy: I wish the same could be said of 'Hammy'! You could mauybe ask mommie for your very own gerbil for Christmas....it might be very interesting! ;o)

Anvilcloud: Hello again :o) I couldn't beieve when I saw the link on Daffy's blog that it was the same Anvilcloud! :o) Good to re-find you.

Punctuation: I repeat my earlier 'poke' and 'eye' comment ;o) heh.

Belleek: I do indeed, I'm working on it! ;o)

Black Cat: Thanks for stopping by. Lol @ the avatar thing, honest, it's nothing personal, it's not poking it's tongue out at anyone specifically! ;o)

As for JFDI....Fletch beat me to the explaination ;o)

Jay: A much better plan!

Fletch: Very nicely put....for you! heh.