I discovered yesterday, when I was suddenly witness to a slightly strange 'accident' that I have a nasty side, or at least something of a questionable sense of humour on occasion!
I had a few errands to run in town and out I went into the sunny but chilly morning to go about my business. It was quite busy, all the usual day to day goings on, nothing to report when suddenly a few feet ahead of me on the pavement all hell broke loose. Jarred out of my own thoughts by the commotion I was met with a sight that really wasn't funny at all.....but that I just couldn't help but be amused by, albeit I though better I not display my amusement at the time!
On the ground lay an elderly woman, she had it transpired been selling poppies, when some old chap riding one of those three wheeled, electric scooter thingies just drove into her like she wasn't there!
Now I know that's not really funny at all, and it became less funny as time went on and it became apparent she was actually injured quite considerably, but the mere fact that anyone could just drive one of those machines into someone and knock them over, somehow seemed to my apparently warped mind, funny at the time. I mean, you just don't see them as high powered vehicles of destruction do you!! To be honest, the only concern I had ever considered before was for those that choose to ride them on the road among traffic, which always seems tantamount to a suicide mission to me.
The situation only became worse to my strange sense of humour. An excellent first aider had appeared from out of a shop and was ministering to the lady still prone on the floor, so I asked a bystander who seemed to be involved somehow, if anyone had called an ambulance. No he said, instead he had sent someone [insert name here, I forgot the name he said but he said it like I should know whoever it was!] to 'fetch the community police officer'. Hmmmm...this just seemed even funnier, so community police officers carry spine boards and neck braces now do they? Why hadn't he just called an ambulance?
The Community bobby duly arrived.....and promptly called an ambulance, 10 minutes wasted, lady still semi conscious on the floor! Offending 'motorist' still parked up where he had come to a halt, protesting his innocence and completely blocking any access.... and first aider still trying to do her thing among all the commotion of what had now become a rather large audience.
By this time I felt I couldn't be of any help, I was just another person in the way but when I tried to leave the community bobby asked me to stay until he had taken my details as a witness, he had obviously forgotten I had already told him I didn't actually witness the incident.
A few minutes later a paramedic arrived in a car, took one look, when he could finally get to the patient via a circuitous route around the still in the way electric scooter...and called an ambulance! Crowd of rubbernecks still swelling.
Enough...I told the bobby my number and left.....with this surreal scene in my head that somehow I still couldn't help feeling had a funny side, if only because it had been so surreal!
Please, don't get me wrong, there was nothing whatsoever amusing about the poor lady who had been doing her bit on a chilly morning selling poppies, now lying injured on the ground, but the manner in which it had happened and the ensuing chaos were funny as hell.....ok, maybe I'm sick but as I walked away I caught some guy's eye and the look on his face said I wasn't the only one!
Wednesday, 12 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 Comments:
We share the same humour, or at least the same perceptions. As WELL.. I am equal in the thoughts of the woman... who wants to see anyone get hurt... but you now.. this is just the classic state of affairs as to how people think. Or the fact that they don't. AND THEN... there are people like us that have to witness it all, and then interpret that into our brains.. and you are absolutely right.. it doesn't make sense... and what doesn't make sense makes us laugh... hence our (I guess at this point) BAD humour erupts.
Get out there GEM and look for more!
Recently Jane I wrote a blog on the very thing about these ruddy machines.. I had been looking out the window while sitting at my pc and looking for inspiration.. I got it by witnessing an old man (he would be about 75 driving one of these machines down our road on the pavement opposite - he was doing a good speed and it occurred to me that if he had been travelling down on our pavement instead of the other side of the road's pavement and I had been coming out of our path there would have been no way to avoid an accident. We have a 6-7ft hedge at the front of the houses and it is impossible to see what, if anything is going down the hill outside... Problem is that the cutting etc of the hedge is the responsibility of the downstairs neighbours- as it is in his garden.
On reading your post I can see though how it seemed funny and if I had been an onlooker I would probably have been fighting back the laughter too... These ruddy things are deadly and one day a small child or some ancient bod will be in the wrong place and unfortunately get involved in some very bad accident - you would think anyone who would be driving one of them could use some brains and watch out ahead in case of accident.... If they are too doddery to realise they are doing wrong then they shouldn't be allowed to use these vehicles...
Daisy's mom here:
I have a twin brother, and when we were kids, he was the first to learn to ride a bike. A shiny red Schwinn. On his very first try, he was wobbling down the sidewalk and ran directly into an elderly woman pushing a wire basket of groceries and knocked her over. Her basket of groceries stayed upright. She stayed flat on her back on the sidewalk and yelled at him and shook her finger at him! I still have a vivid image in my mind of that day, and it still makes me laugh for some reason. Even though I know it isn't "funny." Luckily, the lady was not hurt.
I've blogged about this - at that Nice place where you have a standing invitation.
I couldn't stop reading this and I think I had a lop-sided grin on my face. Now I feel awful.
Do you know what I think? I think that some riders of those machines get a 'god comples', I also think they get a flashback and suddenly become the hell raiser they wished they were in their youth! The sedate, innocent comfortable machine becomes a kick-ass speed machine.... Maybe I watch too much tv.
You have the most interesting days!
Ooops! I'd better steer Keith clear of those Sedgeway transporters (2 wheeled stand-on thingies) that he's been looking at!
OMG that was the funniest blog post I have read for bloody ages!:O)
Someone tried to kill me in one of those, (on purpose!) a few weeks back. But it was my fault, karma wise, because last year I once wrote a post about how I thought people should prove they have a leg or two missing before being allowed to drive one.
I see people all the time, who can easily walk further than me, leap off them at the till, to trot up the aisle, when they've forgotten to pick up ovaltine or whatever...
Oooh, I can feel a blog post coming on about these things. Can you hire them I wonder? Maybe we should both get one for a week and see how it goes? hahaha
Thank you! For reminding me why blogging is so funny!!! :O)
Brilliant!
(Not that I found that post amusing or anything!!? :O) )
Sorry. What I meant to say was...
Poor poppy lady!
I feel sorry for that woman and hope she is alright . . . but can also see the humour in the situation!!! :)
I also find this funny...does this make us all bad ppl? I deal with folks driving these 'dangerous' machines at least ones a day and all to often I have very nasty thoughts as to what I would like to do with them very nasty indeed. These cruddy things are right up there with caravans!!
Things I could tell from my time as a paramedic that, on the surface, should not be funny but were...
Oh, please don't tell me you were part of the "uh, oh" squad. (When a group of bystanders surround an accident victim and go "uh, oh, uh, oh.)
Those things are a darned nuisance in the hands of some people. I do think there are so many of them now that people ought to at least undergo some kind of basic competence test - like the motorcycle CBT - before being allowed on the pavements with them.
What if one hit my dogs? I can imagine broken legs, punctured ribs, broken neck, ear-splitting screaming (otherwise known as the GSOD, or Greyhound Scream of Death), blood everywhere and a huge bill at the vets. And one very pissed off and seriously upset owner with GBH in her mind.
Any bets on whether the 'driver' would offer to pay vet bills? And do they have insurance? Of course not.
I try to be charitable, I really do. And I appreciate that for some these scooters are a lifeline, but that shouldn't be at the expense of everyone else's safety.
Post a Comment