Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Do the Shake n Vac....

....and put the freshness back!

Remember that stuff? Shake n Vac, the cure-all for the perfect 80's housewife suffering the unimaginable traumas of pet and tobacco smells lingering in her pristine home! The stuff itself might not be remembered but the ad. campaign that accompanied it is unfortunately hard to forget. It was one of those typically naff ads of the decade that had the annoying ability to ferret it's way into our subconscious and despite our derision of it, we all whistled and hummed the damn tune for months, if not years on end! If you don't remember here's a little reminder;


Anyways, can you believe, that stuff still exists to this day! And how do I know? Because I have some, worse than that I just used it (though I promise you without the dancing or hideous skirt)....and believe me, it hasn't improved with age, the smell is more likely to cause asphyxiation than 'freshness', it's horrible.....but today is the dreaded six monthly flat inspection day and as usual I have been up since the crack of dawn with all things clean, and in theory sweet smelling, in my usual efforts to eradicate every trace of our smoking sins in a no smoking property!

I'm pretty sure I succeeded in my eradication but I suspect the heinous perfume offered up by the iconic Shake n Vac dust is probably as much an irritation for any one's alveoli as cigarette smoke and not much sweeter smelling! Did our parents really think this stuff was pleasant way back when?

...and as usual on these occasions, Hammy is in hiding in the bottom of the wardrobe and the darkness has again fooled her little nocturnal body clock resulting in much scuffling and noise making....I think perhaps she needs a little more training in the principles of a 'covert mission'!


*Oh and... GO OBAMA!!

8 Comments:

Jack said...

You may be doing a lot of work for nothing. The inspector is probably a smoker. If he were a non-smoker, he could detect residual cigarette smoke in a room filled with tear gas. :o)

Trac said...

Aren't you allowed to smoke in your house?

Oh I love that advert. (I'm just like that!) :O)

But my fave is the 'For Mash Get Smash' adverts.

Pure brilliance in every way.
I mean people actually bought that stuff back then.

GO OBAMA!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I loved that advert and the Flash one of about the same time!
Hey! You're beating me! What's in that bucket?
hehe
Glad all went well!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh after reading that all i have stuck in my head is.. do the shake and vac and put the freshness back.... do the shake nad vac and put the freshnessssss back...
Thanks!!!!

P said...

I actually LOVE shake n vac, I was just saying to my flatmate this very morn how I needed to buy some more before i hoover my bedroom cos i love the way it makes everything smell fresh!!!

Trac said...

OK, I can't take it anymore, I have to ask...

Why do you have a 6 monthly inspection every 3 months?

I think your landlord is a con man.
Do you, by any chance pay your monthly rent every two weeks? :O)

gemmak said...

Trac: Funny you should mention that, it just dawned on me I have only been here 9 months and this is #3!!!...I don't know why, I think the management company must be trying to prove they do something....they do damn all else!

Anonymous said...

Well, all I can say is I didn't!! Shake and Vac seemed like a terrible idea to me, and still does! Along with Glade and those horrible things you hang in your loo. LOL!

The solution to your hamster problem is simple. Stick a high wattage lantern in there with her!