Wednesday, 27 August 2008

Hamster in hiding!

Yesterday was our six monthly 'inspection'. By that I mean the day the letting agents who manage this flat come snooping around to check that we aren't wrecking the place, housing forty seven illegal immigrants or using it as a bordello.

It's always a pain, in the main of our own making I have to admit, because we smoke and the lease forbids such heinous activity, so inspection day always requires much rushing around with all the doors and windows open and cans of sweetly smelling air fresheners pressed into heavy service.

This time though there was one extra problem...Hammy! We aren't allowed pets either and whilst maybe we would get away with a hamster I wasn't going to test the theory, so the crack of dawn yesterday saw me racing around hatching a cunning plan to make her disappear temporarily!

This was no mean feat, given that her 'house' begins to resemble NASA and wouldn't fit in it's entirety in the designated hiding place, which from very limited options was the wardrobe! The whole kit and caboodle just wasn't going to fit and so I had to dismantle the whole issue and re-design a more compact pied a terre....all with one very stubborn and grumpy hamster still 'in situ'.


Eventually the task was complete, Hammy was installed in the bottom of the wardrobe and the multitude of spare parts were hidden away in cupboards...we were ready for inspection.

Oh no we weren't!

The inside of the wardrobe of course is dark, hamsters are nocturnal, her body clock was almost instantly thrown into confusion and she just wouldn't go to sleep, instead choosing to race around her (supposedly silent) wheel making a god-awful racket and scratching like merry hell trying to burrow her way out! Much faffing and many treats later she settled down some but as I was about to go out to the dentist and leave her to the inspector alone, should he arrive in my absence, she started up again!! Arghhhh.

I could think of no other option than to pretend (waddya mean 'pretend') I was a half-wit and turn on the bedroom radio, loud, in the hope that it would drown out her noise making antics and Mr Inspector man would assume I had left in a hurry and forgotten to turn it off!

In the event of course he didn't arrive until long after I had returned, so instead I steered him in and out of the bedroom poste haste and hammy remained safely undiscovered...then of course came the re-building NASA process and this time around an even more seriously disgruntled little hamster, who was by now completely fed up with all the disturbance and has very sharp teeth!

What a performance!

13 Comments:

"Qcloud" said...

oh, why this little mouse is not in pink color? but still adorable

Anonymous said...

It's the savage wee beastie!

Trac said...

hahahaha....

You are funny!

:O)
x

Unknown said...

Small tip for those who get inspected.
Leave some "womens' items" in clear view on the bed. If it is a bloke, he will turn and leave so quick you might get run down. If it is a woman she will suppose that the hormones are what is making you act weird.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha!! Yes, this is familiar to me too - when I was a kid and living in a block of flats in London, we had a no pets rule too.

Seems that our family thought that this didn't mean hamsters, budgies, fish, stick insects or snakes. Tee hee. At least, not until Inspection Day. The snake would get 'lent' to the school, but I honestly can't remember what we did with the other things!

I think the 'no pets' rule is mostly for cats and dogs, but I guess a large snake or cockroaches or mice getting loose in a housing complex could theoretically cause a few problems, huh?

Anonymous said...

John... Womens Items? You mean like Mr.Sheen, some cook bookds and the hover right? ;O)

gemmak said...

Fletch: Lol...how many have you had??

Anonymous said...

What!!! Are you implying I'm incapable of keeping up 'drinking' with 80 year scots men!!! (NO! That was just last night, and in retrospect I've come to the conclusion he must of been on his third liver transplant!)

Anonymous said...

Hammie in the dark closet... "Oh it's time to play! Where did my sleepy time go?"

Anonymous said...

Btw, you have a hover? Cool! http://www.urbanjunkie.co.uk/product.php/191/0/remote-control-hovercraft

Anonymous said...

Lisa...! I'd had Guinness :O)

gemmak said...

Lisa: Lol :o))

Fletch: You don't say! ;o)

Anonymous said...

This is so brilliant. The hamster is so cute... we have one, Bruce. (my daughter loves Bruce Springsteen and I have to say, he is very cute. (however I can't help but mention the size of his testicles... it's not relevant but, My! what a size!)
.
I'm sure he appreciated the concern and I just love his home!
.
Did you get rumbled on the smoking? It's the hardest smell to get rid of and usually non smokers can sniff it a mile away.