Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Political correctness gone 'demented'!

It seems there is a bit of a hoo ha brewing at the University of Manchester, regarding the 'de-gendering' of the students union toilets.

If you haven't come across this little gem of a story before what it means in English is that the toilets are no longer marked as for men or women specifically, instead they are designated as 'toilets' or 'toilets with urinals'. The reason? There have been an unspecified number of complaints from trans-gender students that they have an issue as to which toilet they should use, or feel comfortable using.

I have no problem with that whatsoever, from a personal point of view I don't care whether men or women or women that live as men, or men that live as women, use the conveniences I use, in fact I think in many ways it would be more practical just to do as many other countries do and have 'unisex' toilets (have you see the queues in ladies toilets??) but I do understand why some individuals might find unisex toilets an uncomfortable concept and there is of course the 'has political correctness gone mad' phrase resounding around the whole issue.

And this is where the whole thing has aggravated me!

Check out the green haired, oh-so-idealist, students union rep in the linked video! Get a life girl. She, in typical over zealous, 'head in her rear end', extreme politically correct fashion, picks the reporter up on the use of the phrase' political correctness gone mad'! Her reasoning seems to be that to equate political correctness with madness is in itself not politically correct because the term 'mad' is a disable-ist (did she just invent that word?) term in itself!

That really is political correctness gone mad in my opinion, is the word 'mad' not just a general term for any extreme and/or unusual behaviour and often times applied to incidents of a fun or amusing nature, as opposed to a negative which appears to be her presumption? Perhaps she would prefer we used one of the many definitions of the word 'mad' (insert your choice of non disable-ist term - mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented) as supplied by the Oxford dictionary?

Sorry, but if she is being so bloody righteous is her association with madness and the those with a disability not a politically incorrect attitude in itself....and should she not be looking closer to home? You will notice if you listen carefully that one of the students states she "wouldn't like to share a toilet with a proper man"!!!! Does that suggest then that even some of those on her own campus are presenting a politically incorrect attitude towards trans-gender students?!

Give me strength, all she seems to have achieved is to take the spotlight off the original issue, which may or may not have validity but has been lost among the immature stupidity of someone who should know better by her own standards!!

I would suggest she should perhaps concentrate on educating those around her on the trans-gender issue rather than getting her five minutes of fame in front of a television camera!

10 Comments:

Silverback said...

Oh nooooooo we can't have this !!

Come on men, stand up for yourselves over there in Manchester. We all know the weird and perverse things that go on in ladies toilets and we want none of it in ours.

Reading Womens Weekly in the stalls. Designer handbag fights. Mascara graffiti all over the walls. False nails and eyelashes clogging up the plumbing. Chats about the latest episodes of Sex In The City and Loose Women.

Oh no, no, no. Whatever next ? Unisex restaurants ? Mixed seating at footy matches ? Non gender specific cigarettes ? Credit cards for girls ?

They'll be after the vote next. It's enough to turn your hair an unnatural colour. Oh hang on, women do that already !!

Unknown said...

This is such CRAP! Why do the minorities always win?

Sage said...

We have unisex toilets at the University where I work, but each cubicle is completely self contained and has a sink/dryer as well as a toilet and you don't feel stupid or shy about using them.

Converting toilets into unisex simply won't work and I agree with your comments on the Union rep; unbelievable... shades of Victor Meldrew.

Mr. Nighttime said...

I think someone needs to inform the transgender students that, contrary to popular belief, both men's and women's toilets have have stalls. Nobody says you MUST stand at a urinal to heed nature's call, and if you are trying in earnest to to be a woman, use the women's loo, go into the stall, and go about your business.

Sheesh!

Trac said...

Bonkers!

Anonymous said...

You see this what happens when you give women an education, a job, positions of responsibility and the vote. ;-)

Can't we just go back to dragging you all around by your hair and shouting "ug" at you (which means "prepare for sex coz I'm ready").

True fact: At my old company they had two toilets: one was marked "men" the other one was marked "ladies and visitors". I liked that.

Needless to say I ignored the signs and went in whichever one took my fancy. :-)

Political correctness is discrimination. Idiots who promote PC and justify it with accusations of rampant prejudice against dissenters fall into the same bucket as people who use phrases like "..could of..." instead of "...could have..." - the sophistimacated idiot bucket where, all being well, they will drown in their own juices.

Ok, I'm going to go an lie down now; touch much caffeine.

Mr. Nighttime said...

"Can't we just go back to dragging you all around by your hair and shouting "ug" at you (which means "prepare for sex coz I'm ready")."

Things just haven't been the same since the corset went out of fashion. ;-)

Daisy said...

Sometimes a little common sense is more important than being "politically correct."

Anonymous said...

Punctuation is right. Political correctness IS discimination, and it's also a tad too close to the 'thought police' concept for us sane people. Saner people... Anyway. Um.

This is all just too pathetic for words. Miss Green Hair needs to live for a few years in the real world before she opens her mouth again, although I thought I detected a teeny tadpole of embarrassment there towards the end of the interview, which will do her the world of good.

Anonymous said...

So I can use the Girlies Loos now without getting arrested again? Cool ;o)))