As a rule I do my grocery shopping online with Tesco and before I hear cries along the lines of 'lazy moo, she doesn't even go to work', I have what I at least consider to be a valid excuse for not trundling my way around the store!
As a bankrupt (albeit long since discharged) I am not allowed the privilege of plastic, I do two to four weeks shopping in a hit, I never know how much it will cost and I'll be damned if I am going to risk going through the performance of not having enough cash on me at the checkout....hence I do it online where Fletch's plastic will 'do very nicely sir' and as a bonus I also don't have to tolerate the screaming kids, wayward trolleys and isle-blockers who seem to enjoy spending their entire day in the place.
And if I'm honest, in the main the online service is excellent, with one exception, there's always one isn't there?
Over time I have received in my email various discount coupons, usually along the lines of 'you are a loyal customer here is a fiver off'. This week I had another, this one noting that I hadn't shopped with them for a time and they were sorry if they had displeased me in some way. They hadn't displeased me in any way, I had just been away on holiday....but they were about to displease me greatly!
The thing with these online coupons is that to date I have never managed to get one to actually work. They never work! In the past I have just ignored it but today my 'displeasure' got the better of me and determined, to just once actually get the discount, I called their helpline.
Hmmmmm. Helplines!
Suffice to say, I might suggest to Tesco that next time they run a training session for helpline staff they remind them that because a record of the emailed coupon in question seems not to be on their database, it doesn't automatically mean I am lying! I might also suggest that if that same system dictates that as a replacement it can only offer the customer an £8 voucher as opposed to the original £7.50 voucher, the helpline operator doesn't tell me with such gusto that this is 'bad for Tesco'!!! Somehow it is perhaps my fault that their software doesn't allow for the anomaly??
I think Tesco can stand the 50p don't you?
Jeez....what kind of customer service training do these people get??
They might not have pissed me off prior to my 'have we upset you' voucher but they certainly have now!
Tuesday, 30 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 Comments:
I work for Tesco!!! And believe me if you could see the other side of the Phone you may well never shop there again!!!! Nuff said
Silvia: Lol...as one who worked for years for one of our 'esteemed *cough* national retailers' I can well imagine!!! :o/
I hate tesco with a vengeance after they screwed up an on-line order and it took months to resolve it - never did receive any compensation or an apology... won't do on-line shopping with them.. I use sainsbugs instead..
I doubt the poor people on the end of the help-line in Bangalore have ever even seen the insides of a supermarket, let alone Tescos!
They simply get told what to say :(
Sage: I prefer Sainsbugs but not one near enough :o(
Zoe: Sadly they can't use that excuse in this instance, the call center is in the UK and it was someone with a perfect command of the English language handling the call.
We do not have Tesco where I live. But my Mommie wishes she could buy groceries online!
I wonder why they call them HELPLINES?
Oh, online supermarket shopping! I only do that when I'm feeling very strong.
The times I've gone through the whole palaver only to get the checkout and have it all go wrong, or the contents of my basket disappear ... *bangs head*
I'm not even going to mention the fact that I've stopped ordering anything in tins because they're always dented.
Oops. I guess I did mention that, didn't I?
But surely Jane the fact that there was no record means that you are lying! :)
Almost makes me grateful we don't have those amenities in Trinidad cause it would go so awfully wrong... and I can just imagine it:
"Look you lyin old tief I did tell you before it eh have nuttin i cud do for you. Now I gone before I have cause to cuss you..."
Customer service in Trinidad.
It's an island paradise but consumer friendly it ain't.
I know some ex bankrupts, and they could have debit cards,but no cheque book. Is this right?
It's a new world, it seems - a world where we pay more and get less. It's the same everywhere, I think.
I like online grocery shopping here and there (they even started delivery service where I live). I like it for the same reason. I can check out and see how much it is (it's usually less).
The only problem I've ever had with my store (not Tesco) is them picking all perishable items with expiration dates within the next day or two.
They always make it right, though.
Post a Comment