Today at two o'clock Adrian Sudbury's memorial service will take place in Sheffield Cathedral.Adrian, a journalist with the Huddersfield Examiner, died in August aged only twenty seven, having fought a long battle with not one, but two types of leukemia. It was a battle that it appeared he was winning, but sadly, ultimately it was not to be and he spent his last three months not only coping with his illness but also working tirelessly to promote a better understanding of bone marrow donation, a campaign that ultimately saw him rubbing shoulders with the Prime Minister and succeeding in inflating the numbers of registered bone marrow donors very significantly.
This was a man who made a real difference, who's courage and fortitude in the face of such personal adversity inspired people around the world and a man who leaves behind him a legacy that whilst he knew his own couldn't be saved, will ultimately save the lives of many others.
My thoughts are with his parents Kay and Keith, his sister Carrie, his family and friends and all those who loved him and will be in Sheffield today to celebrate the life of this very special man. It had been my intention to be there with them but unfortunately it was not to be, though I will be very much there in spirit, I will be represented in a small way and I will be watching the service online, which the BBC is to broadcast live.
Adrian Sudbury; a true modern day hero. May he rest in peace and eat Haribos forever.......


5 Comments:
I'll join you at 2 O'Clock for some tears...
Trac: I'll be there....
And pork pies to wash the haribos down!
I got caught up with work and couldn't make it.. but will make the time to sit quietly and listen when I can.. he was a true hero, someone I looked up to with real admiration - went past his own issues to make others aware of what they might do to help someone else.
Tash: Without doubt :o)
Sage:It was a lovely and very fitting tribute, worth a listen/watch, he was a truly a special man.
Post a Comment