I have an inane ability on occasion to wangle my small foot into my mouth and speak without engaging any part of my I.Q first!
Yesterday on my arrival home from work, tired, grubby and not in the best of humour I plonked myself down infront of the pc, coffee and cigarette in hand, to check my mail before I set about any chores that needed attending too.
Immediately 'Ms Tidy desk' here was struck by the fact that things were not quite as normal, barely imperceptible things but none the less something was not right, my desk had been moved, it's contents were not in quite the same places as when I left, hmmmmm, thought I , so what's gone on here? PG has been up to something, my first thought, horror in attendance, was that something had broken and he had dragged everything out to fix it.
And then I noticed a small wire, stuck with blue tack (how did we live without that stuff)to the side of the desk, hidden, well in theory, behind a letter tray. On further investigation it turned out to be a power lead....but what for I wondered, I know this little patch better than my own face, we have nothing with a lead like that.
Here is where my foot entered my mouth. I called PG to discover the reasoning behind a power lead, that leads to nothing.
"Bloody hell woman", "can you leave nothing alone, do you have to notice everything" was his response!
It transpires I have ruined his surprise and now I feel horribly guilty. I have moaned of late that backing everything up on here is such a pain in the rear, I have an almost pathological fear of losing all my data, my whole life is contained in this machine, a lifetime's photographs, all my banking, every important document, many things of sentimental value, copies of every letter written and received, blah, blah, blah. PG has a habit on occasion of crashing windows whilst he is 'fiddling', once before I lost everything, never again! Instead I now spend hours burning gig after gig after gig after gig on to DVD most weeks, a task that I hate. The software is never quite up to the job and even this reasonably powerful machine struggles on occasion to allow me to do anything else while it performs this hateful, boring task!
So what had I ruined? PG, for my impending birthday had bought me an external hard drive carrier and hard drive, not for me flowers, perfume or jewellery, you can keep em, give me gadgetry any day. He had spent his morning alone getting it rigged up and making sure it all worked as it should. God love him. Access to the rear of this pc is a nightmare, so rather than take all the leads out again he had 'hidden' them. Well, he figured, "it's only for a few days, she won't notice them!" Wrong!
So I spoilt his surprise and now I feel mean, but my having done so, he saw little point in keeping said gift hidden away until the nominated day. On his return from work at almost midnight I got the 'close your eyes and hold your hands out' treatment.......an early birthday present! This thing is awesome, a sleek silver contraption, it's own onboard cooling fan and a pleasingly large capacity for storage at just one mouse click and 'yayyy'...... no more damnable DVD burning!!!!
This guy knows exactly which buttons to press....PG you're a star!
Monday, 4 April 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 Comments:
Lol Lisa, yes I have a DVD burner but it's a pain mostly. PG uses it(dn't go there!) I don't except for backing up, you are much better off with a second HD like you have....my new one is just external so I can take it wherever too.
Post a Comment