Monday, 6 September 2004

Hospital visit

The weekend at work with it's sadness' overwith and this morning we are off to visit PG's father in hospital. This is our first visit, his parents live a considerable distance away and visiting restrictions combined with work made it impossible sooner.

It's one of those difficult decisions, one's gut reaction is to immediately 'be there' but employers are 'less emotional' and common sense and hospital advice advise a less 'knee jerk' reaction.

His father is slightly improved since yesterday, he remains ventilated and critical but is awake at times and recognises those around him.

I have to admit to being one that watches medical drama and reality shows from time to time but events such as those this weekend bring home that it is perhaps not 'drama' to be watched for entertainment, rather it is other people's real lives and trauma and I should question the ethics of such shows and of my viewing them. When it happens in your own life or that of someone close to you it is a whole different story. In reality I am not a fan of hospitals, I doubt that many are. The selfish part of me anticipates this visit with some trepidation. Outwardly I cope well with these situations but inwardly, so much raw emotion and intensity I find hard to deal with at times. But today is not about me, it is about the others involved, PG and his family. So it's time to put my strong head on, brace myself and get on with the matter in hand of hopefully offering some support where I can.

2 Comments:

magz said...

sigh. sometimes a woman's just gotta do... what a woman's gotta do. i know it. you know it. If it's a test, when do we get the pass/fail grade? Just member we love you... and share what you can or will. hold pg tight tonight, and pet the kittys for me

gemmak said...

Awwww...thanks the both of you for those lovely comments, it's really good to know there are people like you out there :o)

Cats and PG will be duly attended to magz :o)