Sunday, 2 May 2010

Frustration!

'gemmak', or at least gemmak the blog will be six years old in a week or two's time but more recently this little space on the internet has become more and more frustrating for me. Not because I can't think of anything to write, precisely the reverse, I can think of much I would like to say, but I can't!

As time has marched on gemmak has undergone some degree of 'outing', as many blog/bloggers have. Some of this gradual erosion of anonymity is the result of my own sometimes slightly too complacent attitude and some as the result of other circumstances.

When I began I didn't have any real idea why I was blogging or what I hoped I would gain from it, to be honest I didn't imagine anyone would read it or that I would sustain it for long but as the years passed and life 'did it's thing' I found I was using blogging, to some degree at least in a quite cathartic way. Psychology has long recognised that writing things down when the going gets tough can be helpful and for me blogging has the same effect, though in a stronger sense. I can't define why that is, I don't know if it because blogging provides feedback and support, because I have maybe a narcissistic streak, because just writing certain experiences in itself helps to clarify the mind or whether it's a little bit of all of those things. Whichever or whatever it is cathartic and on occasion I suspect being able to 'out it out there' (whatever 'it' may be) has probably helped save my sometimes questionable sanity.

So why the frustration? Well, as my anonymity has gradually been lost I am less and less able to put into the public domain certain aspects of my life. I sit here frequently itching to type about some particular issue or event and just can't, either to protect the privacy of others involved or because I am aware that what I want to say risks offending or upsetting some who read. It frustrates the hell out of me.

I have looked into moving the whole blog (much too big a job given the number of posts and images) to a platform that allows protected posts, I have considered just ditching this and starting over (but the narcissistic bit of me can't bear to lose all this now) and I have considered linking certain posts to another private blog or passworded account. None of those options seem to be quite suitable for one reason or another unfortunately and so I remain frustrated with my finger ends poised to type, feeling somewhat gagged and wondering why the hell Blogger can't or doesn't offer the protected post option.

Answers on a postcard (or comment) please!

10 Comments:

Jennytc said...

I agree and I find myself in the same position sometimes. There are things I would love to write but can't because of those who will see it. Don't really know what the answer is, though.

Gary said...

That resonates with me too.

I had a job interview about a year ago, and the guy who was interviewing me brought up my outside interest, music, and pulled up my personal blog during the interview, I was embarrassed instantly. After the interview I pulled it all down. I never accepted the job, partly because of that and ever since then have been gun shy about posting things online in the public domain. There are loads and loads of things I would like to write about, and like you, also feel it's a healthy process. Hopefully blogger is listening, and can introduce enhancements so we can do our thing and write about it.

JiCaLu said...

I know there was a blog I followed, Musings from Mimico. And eventually he only allowed certain people to see the site...not me since I was reading anonymously, but that is an option..? Don't know how he does it, but everytime I go on it says I am not authorized...!

Anonymous said...

Same here :/ That's why I hardly update anymore.

daffy said...

I wonder if you are suprised how many people feel the same? You see that is my problem too. I haven't blogged properly for months becasue the real stuff I wondered to put down I couldn't. Mainly becasue I felt it was too personal or that it would offend some people. (My feelings not anything awful) So now, I keep it to my self or I text you! hehe. Seriously though... I've wondered what to do. I think wordpress may allow private posts but then what happens if someone you fear you may offend asks for the password? I'd hate to say no! For me, I'll just keep on not blogging but it would be nice to think we who feel we are somewhat censored could blog.
Are we all victims of our own success and popularity? (Tongue in cheek! hehe)

Joanna said...

I've never tried it before, but this may work:

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/690621

@W3ll4 said...

What happened to your post after this? It looked kinda dandy! I didn't have a code to see what you wrote. ha

Lisa said...

Suggestions: Wordpress allows you to pull in blog posts from Blogger. You could set this blog to roll automatically to a new WP account.

We can help you do this if you want. You could even use your own domain. :)

Also, for private posts, you could have a different blog where you maintain private posts. If you want Blogger readers to notice them, you could link over, then they'd need a password/logon to read.

Anonymous said...

I was about to say what Lisa said - Wordpress allows everything to be imported - you can try it and leave it all on Blogger for safety. Wordpress also allows the privacy you want I believe.

Gina said...

Well. No one I know in 'real life' ie friends or family know about my blog. It's only open to people that happen to find it or to people I know through my online life (mainly a needlecraft community)
Couldn't you 'officially' give up blogging and start a new blog under a diferent name?