Wednesday, 12 May 2010

For the very last time....

....I walked OUT of the DWP - AKA 'The dole' - office this afternoon having signed the appropriate piece of paper to say I have a job!!! Yayyyy.

As I walked past the security guard on my way out, who over time I have had some banter and a few jokes with, I punched the air and he simultaneously 'whooped', we appeared to attract stern looks from the supervisor but I don't think either of us much cared!

It's over, no more of that particularly unpleasant brand of condescension, no more assumptions that I don't want to work or that I am a lower form of life and no more feeling quite so useless and on occasion being told so.

It's over, well an truly over, I am old enough and ugly enough to never say never but if I have a say in the matter I won't ever be going to that place again.... either logistically or emotionally!

I've still got a long way to go to feel I have my life back anywhere like on track and it's patently obvious I'm not used to working by the degree of utter knackered-ness I feel these last few days but it's a start and those few moments walking out of the dole office, albeit short lived for other reasons, were worth any amount of feeling tired!

5 Comments:

TheGazulator said...

I'll add a whoop! to that too. Great news :o) x

Lisa said...

Yay! Good going! xxxxx

Anonymous said...

yay! and c'mon, we need to hear more about THE JOB!

Kat said...

look at it this way G, with the job you have now you are sure to meet some new people and who knows where that might lead??
good luck!!
kat in florida

Gary said...

Inspiring!