Though it seems it isn't something many will readily admit, similarly as guys seem not to easily admit if they have availed themselves of the services of a working girl at some time in their lives, I, being me, have little issue is admitting I have joined a dating site. Well three to be more specific...and if nothing else it is turning into something of an 'experience'.My theory is simple, I don't get to meet too many people in the 'real' world right now because of my situation and as I spent a fair proportion of my time online, it seemed to be an obvious route to investigate.
The first thing that is very apparent however is that hearts and flowers it is not and as with most things in life, you get what you pay for, very much so...but regardless of taking all steps at minising time wasters, it is still a jungle out there and not for the faint of heart or the less internet savvy. One has to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff with some degree of speed and alacrity...and believe me there is plenty of chaff to be sorted. A more honest way of putting it I suspect would be to just say there are a scary number of serious weirdos out there and narrow minded-ness in dealing with them is not an option!
Add to that one has to be able to accept it all for what it is and be resilient to rejection, not expect a great deal and know that in many cases the image of an individual is at least ten years old and the description wouldn't stand up in court.
All that said, you just never know and once in a while someone surprising pops up. Don't get excited here, there is no stunning announcement about to come from these quarters but as in most things, there are possibilities and I've never been one to at least not dip a toe into new things. Life is too short not to be pro-active.
The down-side is that my first real date, thankfully in the event, only a coffee in a public venue during daylight hours, was so completely dire as to require me to make a very hasty escape. Plan 'A' swung into action and having hidden in the bathroom to text my brother that he was required to call me with a sudden 'emergency', I made my apologies and legged it! Terribly obvious I know, probably almost classic sit-com but hey, I was at least polite and smiled as I cringed through an hour an a half of strained conversation!
I will admit it is quite fun from time to time and on the positive side it can be flattering, but thus far, in the main I would have to say it is straining my lifelong efforts not to generalise and pigeon hole the male of the species in a negative manner.
I will persist for a little while longer though because you just never know....
*And yes, before anyone asks, I do and will always meet in a safe place (should I risk the prospect of another escape debacle again at all), I always let someone who is capable of effecting my escape know where I am and when and with whom.


2 Comments:
Good for you! That's how Keith and I met. I guess I must have been very lucky as I didn't encounter any weirdos but I wasn't on it for long as I stumbled upon Keith quite quickly.
Hope one of the frogs turns into your prince!
I hope this lets me comment ....
I did this for a while, not on-line and in the days when it was reasonable OK to meet in a public place for a drink.
One of my funnier outings was to the London Apprentice pub in Isleworth. Those of you that know this place will know that parking spaces are at a premium. My 'date' this evening laid in wait for me outside to save a parking space and then proceeded to wave me into it when I was perfectly capable of reversing into it myself! Not a good start!
Then over a drink he announced he had looked up our star signs in Linda Goodman - yuk! The final straw was that, on leaving, he beckoned me over to his car and said he had something in the car for me which he had kept back in case he didn't like me! It was the largest bouquet of gladioli you have ever seen - bigger than Edna Everage's - and all from his own garden.
I didn't see him again.
Post a Comment