Friday, 13 November 2009

Friday the 13th....

....feels like a pretty appropriate date today, for without wishing to sound too gloom laden things in gemmak's-ville are getting pretty tough. Tougher than tough in fact.

TP is now very poorly, the situation is progressing and it's not pretty, it's not dignified and it's not nice.

We all hear people say from time to time how hard it is to nurse someone who is so ill and we sympathise and try to say something helpful and understanding but I for one, really didn't appreciate just how hard and how soul destroying it becomes, until I had to bite the bullet and do it myself.

It's constant 24/7 stuff and very little of it is anything close to uplifting, quite the reverse. The professional services are all in place and all doing their thing but ultimately they can only do so much... and it's not they at the sharp end when it all goes wrong in the wee small hours and suddenly, in a sleepy state, another major decision has to be made or another new problem presents itself which requires prompt action, usually without the necessary knowledge. It is impossible to second guess everything that might occur and to be prepared for all events. Try as I might and with as much information as I have gathered, the one thing I always need to know seems to be the one thing I don't know....and just don't try getting professional help or advice after office hours with any degree of urgency. The reality is that there are two choices in the middle of the night, make one's own decision or call a 999. End of. The other options that appear to be available just aren't into rapid response, as good as they are in the daylight hours.

So, it's onwards, though somehow I suspect not very upwards. It is one of those situations that just has to be dealt with the best way we can, there is no option for any of us, tis life as they say....

13 Comments:

Sage said...

Gemma I wish I could offer more than just words of support to ease the pressure and the pain {{hugs}}

Jennytc said...

I'm so sorry, Jane. As a family we nursed my mum at home several years ago, so I have some idea of what you are going through now. My thoughts are with you.

Punctuation said...

:'(

daffy said...

So sorry. xx Big hugs hun xx

Daisy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daisy said...

Daisy's 'mom' here:
A few years ago, my dad passed away from cancer about 6 months after his diagnosis, and it was a very terrible process to go through, so I know a little about what you are going through. My thoughts are with you.

Joan said...

Stay the course. I know how mind boggling it all can be. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

You know where I am - pick up that bloody phone whenever you need an ear... xxx

Deanna said...

Hey Lady G.

Almost 5 years ago we walked the same path.

It's not an easy path to traverse, with many prickles and barbs that come at you from all angles.

May ALL of you find peace in your journey, even though it is not an easy one.

Anonymous said...

thinking of you - cannot imagine this hell at all but I care about you and yours.

love
belleek

Snowbabies said...

Thinking of u petal :o) its not nice and no one know what to say, just hang in there and treasure every min u have with TP (huggles)

Debbie xx

Poppy Q said...

In the middle of the night is the toughest. Would there be someone at hospice that you could talk to?

We hope you all get some rest.

Wallo said...

What a difficult thing, the hardest bit no doubt seeing the indignity. It's so cruel.
You're a trooper as always. Complete respect and love to you.

Get in touch!Much love xxxx