Prior to this appointment I had one a few weeks earlier for the same purpose, which I had severely 'told off' for not attending, despite my never having been informed of the appointment in the first place, a fact they wouldn't believe until after much arguing they found my copy of the notification letter still loitering in their file! Apologies were not very forthcoming, rather I was treated to much excuse making!
Appointment two was last weeks....when I duly at the allotted time for that one I was told it had been cancelled....my enquiry as to why no one had taken the time to inform me earlier was met with yet more excuses and little in the way of apology. I felt at this point is was necessary to articulate my extreme displeasure in no uncertain terms and with some degree of assertion, something that still barely moved them to apology but did illicit the attention of the hovering security guard!!! Hell fire, I'm five foot and barely 7.5 stone, presumably the assumption must have been that because I was unhappy, rather than state my case reasonably, if with some degree of annoyance, and have them address it reasonably, I was going to 'kick off' in some manner! Idiots!
So yesterday came and this time they managed to call me in the morning......to remind me 'not to forget I had an appointment'...jeez, I don't need to spell out for you why that immediately had my hackles rising but I calmed down and off I went, yet again for this damn pointless exercise.
At least this time it wasn't cancelled as I walked through the door, perhaps I should be thankful for that if nothing else but the rest was utter tosh. My interviewer was a completely humourless, middle aged, pin money type with so little cognisance of the real world it was frightening. She informed me that as I have now been claiming benefits for three months I will be expected to take a job, should one arise on minimum wage and with a travelling time of up to 90 minutes each way, made me sign copious pieces of paper and then having told me she would be able to 'find me something', had absolutely no understanding of my amusement when the computer said 'NO'!
Oh....and despite filling in a very long winded form concerning another matter a few weeks ago so that I could avoid a problem in a few weeks time.....they have lost it, have no record of it, I must be mistaken it must have been a different form, more excuses yada, yada, yada, I have to start all over again with that.
This government department defies belief, it is utterly incompetent and utterly infuriating....go and see my MP was suggested to me yesterday. Sorry, forgive my scepticism but why do I feel that would just be another frustrating lack of action or common sense!!!!
Give me strength!!! All this for £60 as week! ...though to be honest I wouldn't mind if they could just operate with any small degree of ability or business acumen.
Buffoons, the lots of them!


6 Comments:
I had to jump through the same hoops recently to claim my rent, in the end I didn't bother which i am sure is why they make process so dificult,
Hang on in there hun,
Laters
Nicey
Hang on in there J, unless you want my job of course :-) soon to be available (I hope)... not a bad job just after 29 years of working here I need a break and a chance of relocation makes it all the sweeter - having said that, I visited the job centre when down there to establish that if I needed their help could I get it and was assured of their helpfulness.. but trying the job agencies as well by myself not relying on them.
Photocopy everything and keep your own file with dates, etc as well as the names of the people you speak to. It unsettles them no end if you present as calm, organised and in control (although you might not feel it).Good luck.
never mind the inanity of it all, I like that you have the gumption to be mad and disgusted with them! Welcome back, Gemma! Give 'em hell!
Do stop moaning. You're drawing from public funds. What's the alternative? Just give it out willy nilly.....
Anon: I don't want an alternative, I would just prefer the staff to treat people as individuals and with respect. If the current system could be administered with a little more efficiency, that too would be good!
I am well aware I am drawing from public funds, though I have contributed to those funds myself until now and was unemployed for a year before I did draw. The fact that I am drawing on public monies doesn't however give either the staff I deal with, or anyone else for that matter, the right to treat me with little or no respect. Particulary when the full circumstances are apparently not known.
Post a Comment