So, not satisfied with enforcing the fortnightly humiliation of 'signing on', we the great unwashed that make up this countries current unemployment figures are also treated to yet more of the same stupidity in what will, I suspect, become yet another form of torturous effort in holding my patience while some spotty youth hauls me over another set of coals.
This afternoon I have to deal with the delight of what is referred to by the benefits office as my 'three monthly review'....for three monthly review please read, 'three monthly infuriating, idiotic waste of time'!
I did one of these many years ago and I imagine this one will be no different, merely another exercise in humiliating me while I sit there trying to defend my position against remaining unemployed, really, I wouldn't mind but jeez, why do I remain without gainful employment? BECAUSE THERE ARE NO FREAKING JOBS!!! that's why. They know that as well as we looking for work do, hell fire, the last three times I have attended for my fortnightly visit they have even told me so, but still they persist in this debacle and still the staff behave as if by actually having work they are in comparison to we lesser mortals, demi gods! No doubt it will be suggested to me that I attend a course of some description, that may if I'm very lucky, try to teach me how to embolden a line of text in Word...but which will also manipulate their statistics in some manner positive only to themselves!
But I shall endure it and no doubt I will hold my temper (while my blood pressure rockets with the effort) for one reason only I have no choice, the last job I applied for two weeks ago, I was more than well qualified to do but I didn't even secure an interview, there were over sixty applicants....and it wasn't a job to die for I promise you!
I am beginning to get pretty angry with the whole thing and I don't usually 'do' angry, perhaps my anger should in part be aimed toward other areas of my life right now because I suspect that's in part where some of it stems from but really, whatever, I am fed up to the back teeth of being treated like an idiot by people and organisations who have absolutely no bloody right or justification in doing so!!!
...and all this from an imbecilic government, who whilst they question my every move, behave in the fashion they currently do. Hell fire, I wish I could make as much from the system as they seem to be able too!!!! Arghhhhhhhhh!!!
Thursday, 21 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 Comments:
Hang on in there, Gemma. Things can't last like this forever. They just can't. At least, I hope they can't.
Every day I thank whichever god happens to be listening at the time that I'm still in work cause I've seen so many in my sector that have fallen by the way-side. Who knows when I might be next.
But things *have* to change soon. They *have* to get better. I mean, they can't get much worse, surely.
Still, if they don't get better you can always stand for election. I hear there'll be a seat free in Luton soon - and it comes with a second home by the sea (that's free of dry rot).
I can only commiserate with you, don't want my job do you? I am going down to Cornwall this afternoon and spending tomorrow visiting agencies with my CV to find a job down there... but failing that the grand plan is to sell the house, and leave at the end of Aug/Sep and then get a job down there. I know it will be lower paid, but less pay and more happiness is a price I am willing to pay.
{{hugs}}
There will be several seats free for the next election...
Hold your head up, deep breaths and think good thoughts. You are doing your best despite all the obstacles with no bloody work being the biggest one. They, on the other side of the desk, are paid minions following the flowchart and government directives. The real bastards are the government who are screwing us every which way whilst insisting all the unemployed and disabled are workshy and greedy.
There's a good article in the Guardian 'Comment is Free' by Jenni Russell about unemployment and benefits. I forgot to add good luck for the interview.
Hmm, sounds like "government agency" means the same thing every where! My unemployment ran out...but I still have no job. When they come up with the "unemployment statistics" they don't count me or thousands of others just like me.
Oh yes I know the type you speak of, I attened one of these with my brother as he had similar reservations about them, except he had never been to one before. He too has been searching for work and applying for jobs he is more than capable of doing but not a single interviw in five months. And the person who conducted his review was patronising and smug to the highest extent, asking him 'are you sure you're exploring every avenue?' and 'We can only help you so much sir, you have to be willing to make the effort yourself too" (paired with a sickly smile of 'sympathy') In the end, he got up and walked out saying he could be spending this time doing what he has been for the past 5 months...searching for employment instead of being ridiculed. And his payments have now been stopped for a month so far. And boy, I bet that woman loved her feeling of power and superiority being able to cut off the money he is relying on like that.
In short, I know exactly what you mean but like you say, bite your lip and let them have their moment of satisfaction because some of them are self important enough to 'punish' you for daring to stand up to them.
xxx
Post a Comment