Saturday, 9 May 2009

Dissension in the ranks!

My parents garden is fabulous, not necessarily in the traditional, manicured to perfection way, in fact parts of it have more in common with a small jungle than a suburban garden (though they wouldn't thank me for saying so) but from the point of view that the jungle-ness, and it's location on the edge of countryside, provide for a relative plethora of small critter action. For those of you in doubt, I consider this a good thing! Anything with fur and four legs (refer profile) and all that and I'm happy!

We have birds by the scores of wide variety, everything from sparrows and goldfinches to red kites and the occasional kestrel, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, cats of course though that's not quite the same and now yesterday a new inhabitant...and this is where the dissension lies!

We have a baby rat, he or she is ultimate cute, only about four inches long and rushing around the patio as fast as his little legs can carry him, gathering bit's of food the birds have dropped and scurrying back under the shed, backwards and forwards until anything vaguely edible has been cleared up and taken into 'safe storage'.

The problem here is obvious, I think he's fab and sit out there enjoying watching his carrying-ons...my parents however think he's very un-fab and want to 'dispatch' him as soon as possible! Oh no! There will of course, where there is baby rat, be mummy and daddy rat and sibling rats but the thought of his imminent demise is not a happy one.

But I have a plan! My parents go to bed way before me and as a result I feel a few late night garden forays might be in order.... during which some sneaky trap sabotaging activities may well be taking place! ;o)

7 Comments:

Unknown said...

Just as nice little girls in pigtails grow up into - whatever - so too do little baby rats. And their sex life matches that of a porn star. Within a short time, you may well be looking at many baby rats.
Does not require too much human intervention though - maybe the baby rat will encourage attention from an adult fox!

Daisy said...

That really is a lovely garden! I would love to play there (in my harness and leash, of course.) I got a toy plague ratsie. I think that is different from the one in your parents' garden though.

mattyboy500 said...

Is the offending critter of the size we should consider the "little nipper" the ideal means of dispatch, or does he/she fall in to the increased size category that we may have to employ "The Sentry"! either way i'm here to help. ;-)).
thats the problem with clandestine opperations! theres always a spy in the camp!
You dirty rat!
XMW

delcatto said...

I have three cats for hire although Tigger is the real killer out of the three of 'em. She could be the new sheriff in town and clear out the rats.

delcatto said...

By the way, rats love chocolate so you could bait the humane traps with that.

Lisa said...

Wow! How beautiful!

My parents are the same with squirrels. lol. Can you catch a picture of the baby rat?

:)

Kitty said...

Fab garden, why not compromise with your parents, use humane traps and then release the rats a few miles away instead.