
My surprise was further piqued when said fox barely moved with my blundering approach, it just stayed right where it was a opposed to running off, the usual response one would expect. I retreated back indoors to watch what he/she was up to and it all too soon became apparent that foxy was not at all well. One paw was badly damaged, most of his tail was missing, his coat was a mess and any attempt he made at getting up and walking was abortive, his legs just didn't seem to be able to support him.
I had visions of having to soon find a fox sized black bag and transporting him in a deceased state to be disposed of by a vet. :o(
After about an half hour and it being apparent he wasn't in good shape and not having moved I called the RSPCA who duly agreed to come out and see if they could catch him but as sods law would dictate, before they managed to get here he suddenly found the strength to wander off in a very wobbly fashion and despite much searching through shrubbery and undergrowth couldn't relocate him. My assumption, he had gone away to die. There was nothing more either myself or the RSPCA could do.
That was the end of that so it seemed...until at about 8 in the evening when I was watching TV he suddenly came wandering up the pavement as large as life, trotted down the steps to the back of the house and began feasting on the food we had put out for him in case he returned!
He was still far from looking in tip top condition but he had regained a certain degree of spring in his step and certainly hadn't lost his capacity for eating! I suspect he is pretty old by his general appearance and had suffered some injury early in the day but had somehow managed to recover enough to go about his usual foxy business, he's popped back once or twice for some food but never long enough for us to get the professionals here to capture him.
Hopefully his wounds will heal naturally and he will then potter along in normal fox life for a little longer until a usual aged demise takes him over but for now we keep putting food out in the hope that he keeps returning and we can keep an eye on him in case he needs help at some time in the future.


8 Comments:
Animals do bizarre things when they're distressed/hurt... I suppose we humans can be the same. We had a hedgehog on our drive that kept running just around in circles (and hedgehogs don't usually move that fast!), felt really sorry for the poor thing as it kept doing it, but no idea what was wrong... He eventually wondered off. Hope the little fella was okay!
So glad the story seems to have a happy ending. Here's hoping that he keeps returning for his dinner for a while yet.
One must wonder who, or what he got into a tangle with to have so much damage done to him. Another fox? Do you have any larger animals there that could have done this?
We used to have a fox that visited our house. I was about nine years old and he was affectionate and often wandered into the kitchen in search of more bread after we left some out. What we didnt quite realise that it was actually two foxes taking it in turns to show up, which was a bizarre situation and before long we came across some very new fox cubs which were adorable.
We had one which pooped by last winter for scraps. It was slightly wary but would tolerate our presence as well as photographs. Interestingly, our cats would sit near by looking disdainfully at this foxy intruder but otherwise ignore her. Our dog on the other hand had to be kept in the house to prevent her chasing the 'intruder' away.
The fox turned up a week ago after an absence of a few weeks and looking hale & hearty.
Oops! "popped by"...check before publishing.
well, it probably did poop !!
Hope Ole man fox keeps himself out of trouble for a while. He obviously knew where to go for help if he needed it!
You see, you are the same old Gemmak! And we love you!
belleek
When I lived in Leeds there was a fox who would come near my house and sniff around. I had just come Australia and had never seen a fox before, so I used to throw bread out the window to lure it over so I could get a better look!
They're such lovely creatures! HA, when I first saw one I freaked out and refused to go outside incase it attacked me, but I was assured that they were harmless.
I want one as pet.
Post a Comment