It doesn't need reiterating here that the last few weeks of my life have been pretty dire, a time and place I never want to visit again as long as I live and that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. So where am I at now? Really I don't know, I feel like I'm functioning on auto pilot but an auto pilot system with more than a few technical issues, pretty directionless and with my mind flailing around wildly trying to find something to hang onto and/or focus on, though focusing seems to be difficult, my levels of concentration are shot and my thoughts are constantly disrupted by memories and questions.
To that end I have made made the decision to submit to a course of counselling. For me, and I know there are some of you who don't necessarily agree, a need to understand the what's and why's of how I came to be in this position is an inherent part of how I deal with things and without gaining that insight I just can't move on. There is nothing I can do to change what has happened, much as I wish there was, so instead I have to try and understand the reasons behind it from a psychological aspect. It's just me, it's how I have always been, without some understanding I will never be able to draw a line under the whole sorry story.
It's going to be a long journey, one I don't relish and one I wish with all my heart I didn't have to face but I do... and for me I think it's the only way forward. Tiny baby steps, one thing at a time, there will be many ups and downs no doubt and much self searching but counselling session number one last Friday helped me see at least that maybe I can make it through and maybe I can stop blaming myself entirely. Already aspects of what happened have been bought to my attention by the professionals that I hadn't seen or understood previously!
So, a better understanding and perhaps I will 'get there' in the end. I feel very fragile still and there is no doubting I will be a different person at the end of all of this, it has changed me already and I won't ever be quite the woman I was before. My trust and faith in life are shot to pieces and my cynicism levels are pretty high..... and I don't like it. I have always been a trusting person, always believed strongly in communication, always tried to see the good in people and situations and I have to learn now how to fix it instead of carrying it around inside me as a form of damaging self protection.
Baby steps... they are going to hurt like hell some of them, counselling works but it's tough, believe me I know, but it has to be done and do it I will!


11 Comments:
Good luck sweetie - one step at a time :) We'll all be here for you and we'll catch you if you fall during this time.
*Hugs*
From the perspective of someone who cares, this is really good to hear. You have had a tough time and I admire your need to understand. How many times have any of us, or even many of us, just accepted something. How many times has that particular thing come back to niggle at our thoughts. I think closure will be easier with a deeper understanding.
I'm pleased you realise that the blame aspect, all being at your doorstep, mainly put there by yourself, is not necessarily true and I think that highlight the fact that the light is beckoning, as your illustration perfectly shows.
Like I said before, it doesn't seem to me that anything is your fault... you're not the one who walked away. Hopefully the councelling will help you see that x
All I can say is the counselling helped me, even if the first counsellor was so irritating I couldn't go and see him I did carry on with someone else who helped me to see that sometimes things need to be examined to see what went wrong and why... {{hugs}} no matter what happens in the future you can be proud of yourself and trust in you to do the right thing.. not all is lost even though it might seem like it.
Recognizing the need to have someone help you make sense of things is a clear sign that you're more well-off than you think. I wish you well on your personal journey and hope you find the answers you seek.
I am glad that you can see that counseling can help you to understand and move on. "The longest journey starts with a single step"!
I think going for counselling is a positive step - if you think that will help you, then its completely your decision. And I really hope it does help.
Keep strong. :)
A baby step is still a step and you should be admired and feel proud of each and every step you take. Understanding is the best path to acceptance and I agree that this is the best way for you to move on.
Won't be easy, but you've got the best attitude you can have and I wish you all the best during this challenging time.
xxxx
*thumbs up* Good for you!
YOU are the trusting one here .... don't let your faith in yourself be damaged. Chin up, my dear!
belleek
Ive had counselling in the past, and at first thought I was just going round in circles. But that soon settled and I can honestly say without it I wouldnt be here today. Friends and family are great to talk to and give us support, but with counselling you can really open up say things you cant say to others.
It will take time, one small step and then another. You will have good days and bad days, dont be too hard on yourself. Each new day is a blank page for us to put our stamp on.
Love your park photos
Hugs
Tracey x x x
Post a Comment