
The snow began falling again in the mid afternoon and by evening everything was transformed back to the beautiful pristine whiteness of earlier in the week. As I ate dinner I pondered that the forecast suggested it would begin to thaw again almost immediately, and by morning there would remain again only a slushy mess. Something had to be done!
So do something I did, I scrambled into my boots and jacket and headed out of the warmth of the flat and into the dark and still heavily falling snow and went for a walk! It was fabulous, while the few people around were scuttling about grumbling and trying to get indoors as fast as possible I was wandering around finding virgin snow to make footprints in and loving every moment!
I walked into town and watched the snowfall under the street lamps, I walked along the quay with a swan slipping and sliding just ahead of me, I sat watching the flakes disappear into the river and I turned my face to the sky and felt the snow landing gently and silently on my skin. It was amazing, peaceful and beautiful and the perfect antidote to a horrible week.
Eventually the cold began seeping through and reluctantly I began pottering slowly back through the silence, headed for home again all the while trying to commit to memory the feeling of pure white tranquility against the darkness and choosing an untrodden path to hear the 'scrunching' sound of new fallen snow under my feet.
I arrived home, pink cheeked, covered in snow and wet. I made a cup of hot chocolate and sat by the window watching the snow continue to fall. Perfect.


9 Comments:
sounds lovely to me! :)
Its the simple things in life innit !!!!
Laters
Nicey
I love doing this, leaving tracks in the snow. I always wonder where the other tracks are going as well..
yes perfect! Sounds divine.
Jane.....you're nuts ;-)
Actually this is the very first post this year that actually had me missing snow...a bit. Thank you.
You could have stopped in a pub for a drink!
I always feel that way too with the first few snowfalls. Then after about a month or so...it gets old really quickly. I don't mean to burst your bubble or ban me from your blog heh..
Daisy's mom here:
We lived for almost 2 years in northern Virginia, and every Sunday my husband and I would walk the mile and a half to our local coffee house. Our favorite mornings were after a big snow when no one was around, and we had the streets entirely to ourselves. We would get a delicious cup of gourmet coffee, and then walk home. I miss those mornings.
When the snow gets up around 30" or so, and the wind is about 50 mph, footprints and snow angels are a bit dicy to do.
- ah . . . memories of Omaha . . .
Post a Comment