Sunday, 4 January 2009

Reality bites!

Today is the last day of our holidays, as I don't actually go to work I define that by the fact that Fletch returns to work tomorrow after his two week break, most of which it transpired was pretty stressful and not much of a break for him at all but hey, that's life.

So, what of the return to the day to day routine for me? The coming year is likely to take himself away on business more than this last year has, not something I relish one bit, I cope with weeks alone but I don't like it, in fact I hate it, there are times I can go for days and days without seeing another human being, one of the inevitable side effects of moving so often and of not working is that one learns quite rapidly to become something of a hermit!

Things need to change some. I am very lucky in that I don't desperately 'need' to work from the financial aspect (thank you Fletch) but like everyone we could use more income and I need to be occupied if I am to spend much time alone. To that end, starting tomorrow I need to either kick start the design thing into greater action or get a bloody job! Neither seems to be a simple option, a new blog design in a recession is probably not top of anyone's 'must have' list and with most of my work experience in retail and retail management, and retail being at the sharp end of said recession, that too is going to present it's own challenges!

Likely I won't blog much about the in's and out's of the job hunt, last time I did that the perpetual reporting of my not getting a position became somewhat disheartening and the thought of getting 'out there' again is pretty terrifying in itself, but things will change gradually with a bit of luck..... and perhaps somewhere out there will the perfect little job and some life outside of these four walls.

I'm used to my hermit existence, I would even go as far as to say I like it in many ways, I don't deal with stress well to put it mildly and the thought of going back into low end employment where one is treated like dirt as a rule, is not overly appealling to me but at least this time, if I get another employer who thinks he is above employment law, I can just shoot through instead of having to tolerate it endlessly, thank you again Fletch.

So, reality bites, it's back to the real world....and whatever it may bring here's hoping some of it at least is good!

6 Comments:

Unknown said...

Reality will bite only if you let it?

Anonymous said...

Did I write this? :o)
Well I could have written (wrote?) most of it...
I have to kick start something too! Tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow! :o)

gemmak said...

John: ....and I usually do! ;o)

Daffy: 'We' wrote it! heh ;o)

Daisy said...

Daisy's mom here:
I do not work at an outside job, either, so that's why I started volunteering at the cat rescue shelter. I had to get out of the house! I also take a yoga class twice a week. Anything to get out of the house and see other people once in a while!

Silverback said...

I feel a return visit to Cambridge coming on when I get back to the UK in April.

Like you I could always do with more income as my work pension barely covers the necessities and the savings dwindled alarmingly in 2008 after years of decent growth.

Maybe I'll just stay here in Florida when my visa runs out !

Anonymous said...

Money... I'm thinking that Classic '74 Countach :O))))