Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Boing!

What can I say? Probably the less the better would be the wisest but you know me, never one for using one word where ten will do! ;o)

Christmas came and went in a blur, Christmas day itself was lovely, my entire immediate family managed to all be in one place at one time, a feat in itself and much noisy merriment was made, much good food was consumed and much good wine quaffed.

Christmas day over though and with the arrival of the sad news on Boxing day morning that Fletch's Aunt was critically ill, the person, who having never known his grandparents he considers the closest thing he has to a grandmother, life became pretty hectic as we beetled our way first back to Cambridge, then down to the south coast to collect Fletch's mum and then up to Yorkshire and back again. I think our main memory of the last few days is of one or another motorway. We covered well over a thousand miles and finally arrived home yesterday, with his brother in tow for a few days.

The Aunt is holding her own for now but to be honest it's not looking very positive in the longer term and stress levels and tiredness levels are running high, I feel like Zebedee, (yes, I'm showing my age!) wound up like a spring about to uncoil wildly, as does Fletch and having not stopped in one place for longer than twenty four hours all thoughts of a relaxing holiday seem to be long gone.

Tomorrow, theoretically at least, we plan to go out to welcome in the new year with friends but if we have learned one thing this week it is that plans aren't the best plan!

'Boing said Zebedee'!

6 Comments:

Charlotte said...

Hee-hee, Magic Roundabout, huh? Now I'M showing MY age too...
(actually, my middle name is even Florence - inspired by that very programme!)

I hope you get a little 'you' time - and that although you say things don't look good, your relative is comfortable and things improve.

Hopefully, you'll get to welcome in the New Year with friends as planned - love and best wishes for a better 2009!

Ch xx

Nicey said...

Sorry to hear the sad news but Zebedee what a hero ! Boing and time for bed ;)
Happy New Year
Laters
Nicey

Mr. Nighttime said...

I'm glad Christmas day went well, but sorry other things aren't. As someone that just had two friends die on him, I understand the stress.

Here's hoping 2009 is a better year.

Anonymous said...

Motorways are so boring too aren't they! :o) You have had a really busy time so tomorrow, you will be rewarded with merriment! I don't celebrate new Year and will probably be a bed by 10... I'm getting old! So you enjoy it for the both of us and don't worry about anything else. We seem to buckle down and get on with things when the going gets tough! (Are you singing Billy Ocean now?) Have a great New Year!

Snowbabies said...

You must have virtually driven past our house, should have called in for a coffee lol.

Hope you have a cracking new years eve and that things get better in 2009.

Happy New Year!

Paul & Debbie.

Sage said...

Sorry to hear your news, hope that Fletch's Aunt gets better and you have a good New Year