Wednesday, 19 November 2008

Depressed economy!

You know, I am heartily sick of hearing about money at the moment!

It's not so much that I don't have any, though a little more would be kinda nice, it's that somehow it feels like absolutely everything in this world depends on it right now! The reality is, to the economists among you out there, that it does, it's a fact I know, that the harsh reality is that money makes the world go around but we seem to be completely obsessed with it of late....there is nothing but financial doom and gloom in the media, everyone is in some degree of panic over interest rates, debt, rising prices or any other number of understandably worrying financial considerations. The government that tells us we are in this situation because of debt wants now to get into more debt itself, the jobless figures are rising daily, the politicians are still more interested in in-fighting than actually getting to grips with the real issues and we at the sharp end just keep on adjusting our lifestyles to accommodate!

But there are other things in life and just maybe it would be nice if occasionally we focused on those, a little time spent concentrating on what we do have rather than what we don't have might just be a nice idea and help give us the positive attitude and uplift needed to sustain ourselves through all the doom and gloom!

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what. I'm loving this situation. For the first time in a generation all those people who "want it now" suddenly can't get it. Instead of floating through life like they are part of some global yuppy club where it's all milk and honey, now they have to deal with stark realities.

The people I despise most are those who thought it was cute to play the housing market. Buy a cheap house, do it up like those smarmy housing programs show you and sell it on at a profit. The overall price of houses shoots up and the vast majority of first time buyers now can't afford decent housing. So now the house trading game is going tits up and all these idiots are getting stuck in a negative equity situation. And we're supposed to feel sorry for them. I'm a bit of a small time gambler. Horse racing is my bag. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win. Winning's fun, losing sucks. Welcome to the real world.

Ever read any stuff by Marx or Engels. They write about the workers struggle against capitalism and you'd think it was written last week. We need a huge change in the way things are. We need a revolution. I'll carry the falg.

gemmak said...

Norman: Ohhh...don't get me started! Get a bloody big flag and I'll grab hold of the other side and carry it with you!

Greed is what it's all about, the get rich quick crew that worships the mighty $$$, f*ck it up and then expect the rest of us and governements to bail them out! Who was there to bail me and the likes of me out, no-one...we just had to stand in front of a judge in a bankruptcy court and take the heat for a situation not entirely of our own making!

I went bankrupt for just a few k, not good but not a kings ransom nowadays and not [in part at least] all mine as such, I'll pay the price for that for the rest of my days but apparently institions that mess up big time can merely call on governments for a hefty bail-out!

Ack...like I said, don't get me started, I will neverbe able to purchase a home again etc. both because of the cost and my situation, I am prepared to take my 'punishement' but it's a little galling when the rest of the situation is 'as is'!!! We all make mistakes but 'Jane Doe' has to carry the can, the get rich quick yuppy's and their cronies rarely do and still complain bitterly about how tough they have it!

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks like a fun place to be ;O)

JFTR... Marx was wrong... Just ask Lenin ;O)))

Now about this Cheeseburger :O)

Jennytc said...

Couldn't agree more, Gemmak, and it would be nice if the fat bank cats got a caning instead of being congratulated on 'selflessly' foregoing their huge bonuses!
However, regarding the other things in life - it would be a good start if the everlasting rain would let up and we could have a bit of decent weather! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll focus on the fact that I've got a gorgeous son and still do have a job, not on the fact that one month today I wont have internet access or a landline telephone for the forseeable future, and all because of money ... oh, and men :o(((

Michelle said...

I'll focus on the fact that i have lost 30% of my superannuation because of this bloody disaster. For years we've done the right thing and not been greedy, putting money away in a low interest fund (becuase it was safer, and it has been by all other standards, many have lost more than me) for retirement. Sadly, 50% of the money was in bank shares, those that crashed.
So what does this mean? Well, looks like i will be working an extra 5 years to make up the difference :(
So nope, i'm not sick of hearing about money, because i have lost much of mine, just by doing the right thing :(