I'm sorry but be warned, despite the title this post has absolutely nothing to do with things feline and cute, rather it concerns the somewhat worrying upward trend there has apparently been of women seeking vaginoplasty or labiaplasty, surgery to improve the appearance and function of the female genitalia.
Have the women who choose to undergo this type of surgery gone completely nuts??
As an individual I wouldn't subject myself to surgery of any kind unless it was for the purpose of saving my life and whilst I appreciate I am maybe particularly cowardly where the surgeons knife is concerned, I am still at a loss to understand why I or anyone else would want to even consider vaginal surgery in most cases.
I do understand of course, that there are a few women for whom these procedures are medically appropriate, I won't go into too indelicate a list of specifics but perhaps for example, after a particularly physiologically traumatic child birth, but the fact is that the majority of those opting for this surgery do so purely for cosmetic reasons, I can only imagine is the result of media pressure to look good and a serious degree of personal insecurity about one's appearance.
It's bad enough that women feel the need to have breast augmentation, nose jobs, face lifts and numerous other kinds of body tucks but perhaps that is marginally more understandable, those body parts are at least visible to others as we go about our daily life and whilst I wouldn't do it, if it improves an individuals confidence in themselves then maybe, just maybe I can see the purpose. Vaginal surgery however is a whole different ball game.
Let's face it ladies, unless we are nubile young porn stars our genitalia is not generally on show and he or she to whom it is, has chosen to be there and therefor presumably finds whatever they are 'presented' with aesthetically acceptable. If they don't then I'm sorry but they can exit my bedroom post haste and go elsewhere.
Are we not individuals? Is that not the fun part?
We are all of different appearance and that applies to our entire body. I for one have no wish to be a clone and vaginoplasty not only strikes me as gruesome and entirely unnecessary in most instances, but it also seems very sad that anyone would even begin to consider it appropriate or suitable purely from a cosmetic aspect.
We can't escape the fact that when genitalia was invented it had more to do with function than aesthetics. Vaginas and penises where not at the top of the list when they hit the creation design studio but the rising popularity for surgery to create designer vaginas, is in my opinion, way too extreme and those considering it might want instead to consider a session of self esteem counselling before they hit the operating room!
Thursday, 25 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 Comments:
OOOOOOh, I so need to put a long comment against this post (but I'm at work, dammit). I'll do it later but to summarise:
I am currently writing software for the dental "industry" and for....cosmetic surgeons; plus a previous female partner of mine had cosmetic surgery (more than one procedure). So perhaps this might be a dodgy subject!
Imagine being a vagina designer, what a conversation-stopper at parties. :-)
Oh well done!
I do like a blog where you have no idea what you are going to find when you get there.
LOL @ Trac. :)
Surely people have better things to spend money on.
Let's see... during sex... the amount of time anyone should spend being concerned about how a vagina looks.. Does it WORK?
I saw a tv programme about this a couple of weeks ago. I too could not believe what some of those women were putting themselves through for no reason other than to look good.
I can totally understand a woman having corrective surgery after childbirth (some births can cause major trauma to the genitalia), but cosmetic? Crazy!
...and penis' <--- Wow. That's one mad crazy place to leave an apostrophe. Please put it back in the erroneous apostrophe recycle box.
I would have plenty to say on the subject but I don't think I can comment anonymously and have no inclination to expose myself in any sense of the word in public so I'll say none of it. Can I just suggest that it isn't always so much to do with look as with feel??? Oh, and I can't afford it anyway.
So along with perfect breasts, we will now train men to expect perfect labia?
I'll stay out of this!
You know, in a world there is so much anger and protest (and rightfully so) against those societies that practice clitorectomies, or labial mutilation against women, I find it sad that women would voluntarily perform what is essentially mutilation upon themselves. I could certainly understand it if there was a medical reason for such surgeries, if the function of the vagina were being interfered with in some way. Other than that, there is no reason I can see, literally and or figuratively for something like this.
I tend to agree... My attitude to surgery is definitely 'only if absolutely necessary!'
However, designer vaginas (Oh, I love that term! LOL!) are not the only reason for vaginoplasty. Sometimes, the tissues of the vagina get awfully stretched during childbirth - stretched and torn - and not necessarily due to a particularly traumatic birth, but maybe just multiple births plus less than efficient physio. In these cases, sexual satisfaction is greatly reduced, friction being kinda necessary. ;)
Also, I have to say that having seen pictures of just how ... unequal ... things can be down there, I can understand how that would be seriously inhibiting for those afflicted.
In that case, it would be like a hare lip or a gigantic nose, or one breast half the size of the other - not life-threatening, or even lacking in ability to function normally, but understandably misery-making. You'd want it fixed.
But vaginoplasty for the sake of getting a neat, pretty appearance? I'd say these women would be better to spend their cash on counselling.
It is, as you say, a sign of the 'must be perfect' world we live in, and it's quite sad.
Are you saying my Knob ain't big enough? :o)
Punctuation: I've had one or two jobs that were conversation stoppers but nothing on the scale of 'vagina designer'! ;o)
Trac: LOL :o)
Lisa: Presicely!
Norman: Ok, ok, I fixed it! ;o)
Anonymous: You seem to manage to comment anon this time! ;o) ....and yes, 'feel' is an issue in some cases and in those, as I said, I see an appropriate purpose, it's those that undergo this kind of surgery for purely cosmetic resons that I don't understand.
Significant Snail: It would seem so! :o(
Johng: Lol....coward! heh
Mr Nighttime: I concur! :o)
Jay: Ditto the above :o) It's those that use the surgery for soley cosmetic reasons that are beyond me.
Fletch: I can always rely on you to lower the tone! ;o) ...oh and "of course not dear"! ;o)
Even the words vaginoplasty and labiaplasty strike terror in me, as they should - Let's face it, any woman volumtarily considering either of these procedures must be seriously deluded and in need of a lobotomy... The world has gone MAD!
Excuse my blunt language, but by the time I see a vagina, I couldn't care LESS what it looks like. I just want to get in it!
Dale - Good on ya mate! (Did I say that right? ;-) )
I never thought you would repeat this. Well done. You seem to have overlooked penis augmentation though?
I think there's certainly a reason for it after traumatic childbirth etc of for women with REALLY unequal labia etc - - but in most cases, hey, in the greater scheme of things, the look of one's vagina is really not important to quality of life.
I got to the second paragraph and didn't read the rest because I had to comment!
I don't really get women who do this stuff, but you know some of the pictures i've seen of women who want to get it done, I can kind of understand. It looks like they have baby elephants flapping around down there!
please dont judge-
but i am probably going to get mine done. Though i have read all your comments and it saddens me...and i do see your point...
but from my point of view.. being born with an overly enlarged labia which tends to get in the way when doing sports or just even taking a brisk walk...it is extremely uncomfortable and its not like you can reach into your underwear in public to shift the labia flap back into the outer lips.
also...i have been efffected with sex since i lost my virginity. dont get me wrong...sex is great..the act of it. but oral - i wont let any of my previous partners go down there.
I watch porn and i know it would feel amazing, but i am soo self cautious about how it looks down there that even if i was receiving oral, i cant help but focus on what he thinks of me down there or how i look.
this has been effecting me since the age of 16. i am now 31 and enough is enough. i want to be able to enjoy oral and finally get the "designer" vagina i have always wanted.
trust me...its been something that has been bothering me for an extremely long time... and if it takes a quick snip to make everything better... why not?
Anon: I can only bow to yuor greater experience in this, I don't have the problem you describe and in all honesty I hadn't considered it from that point of view, only from the appearance aspect. I can only say that it's good to have opinions of others and hear of experiences outside of our own, with that hopefully we broaden our understanding. Thank you for taking the time to comment and I hope if you do go ahead that your surgery provides the comfort you are hoping for. :)
Post a Comment