Sunday, 21 September 2008

Europe part 4 - Bloggers, beer & Brussels

The holiday tales are almost over, there is just one more to tell.... and a particularly special one at that!

We left the mountains and headed north in readiness for our sailing home from Calais on Saturday. En route we intended to visit Koblenz and the Ardennes. We did in fact make it to both destinations, Koblenz was a small disaster I won't regale you with and the Ardene we drove through without stopping, having decided for various reasons en route, to spend our last two days in relative luxury in a hotel.

We chose Leuven, a city 30km from Brussels. Well in actual fact we didn't choose it, having been charged with booking a room via the internet on my phone while we were on the road, and having inadvertently misunderstood what I was reading I booked us into the hotel in Leuven by mistake, we had intended to be in the centre of Brussels! Fletch is unlikely to let me live that one down, but it was a happy accident, Leuven was beautiful and laid back, none of the frantic-ness of bigger cities and we spent two lovely days investigating and eating the most massive chocolate and cream covered waffles!

Our choice of the Brussels area for our last day or two was not entirely motivated by its proximity to Calais for our return journey. I had in my mind that if it were do-able we would try and hook up with a fellow blogger who lives thereabouts....the much awarded and hilarious Zoe, who's blog, My Boyfriend is a Twat, you will all know. I had emailed Zoe on our arrival in the area and she and Quarsan (The twat) very kindly invited us for dinner on our final night. And what a night!!! What can I say....absolutely mad, hilarious, high octane fun, fun, fun, we had an absolute ball and it was hard to believe it was the first time we had all met.

Quarsan expertly fed us all a completely scrummy dinner and we talked and we laughed and we drank and we rolled around the floor (don't ask) and we talked and we laughed and we drank....and we drank...and we drank, into the wee small hours! As you know, I'm usually not very comfortable posting pictures of myself, ditto Zoe and Fletch but just this once it is worth it!

A true night to remember!....and a big thank you to Zoe and Quarsan for their hospitality and company, we had a fab night guys, thank you.

Oh...and I came away clutching my very own signed and dedicated copy of the book, gifted! How cool is that?!

And so that was it, holiday over, all that remained was a six hour (result of Euro star fire) wait at Calais the next day and then back to Blightey.

A fabulous holiday, the stuff that life is about :o)

Doubtless there will be one or two more odds and sods posted here ref. holiday stuff but in the main if you have managed to wade your way through these posts you deserve a medal and are now relieved from duty! ;o)

....in the unlikely event you can stand anymore pictures the rest can be found HERE.

3 Comments:

zoe said...

Thank YOU! You guys are SO welcome back and I'm still enjoying the beers that Fletch didn't manage to finish as after the wine and mixture of beer he was slurring terribly (Q said that - like I'd notice).

Glad you enjoyed the evening as much as we did: note the redneck dungarees (courtesy of Joanna) and the superb red hat with a target on the front ;)

Christ, my nose is big ;)

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwww.... : ) xxxxx

Ndinombethe said...

Sounds like a great night!