Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Asking for trouble?..... and heros

Tomorrow evening we get to go punting on the river in Cambridge, courtesy of Fletch's employer. It's the annual summer beano when colleagues and assorted guests, in theory at least, get to chill out together away from the pressure of work. In reality of course what happens is that they all spend the evening talking geek shop whilst we, the amassed clique of miscellaneous hangers-on try and follow at least a fraction of the conversation!

I of course am not complaining, this is an opportunity for Champagne (well it would be if I weren't the designated driver) and dinner at the companies expense and I can think of worse things to do than spend the evening being chauffeured along the river by candlelight.

I do however have just one reservation....the idea of Fletch, a punt, lots of water and a gaggle (what is the collective for intoxicated men incidentally?) of inebriated guys I suspect could be asking for trouble..... and has a higher than average possibility of resulting in any number of practical jokes and/or a very wet ending!

**And on an entirely different subject and more serious note, My Hero, pop over and add your support any way you can please.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps a chunder of intoxicated men?

you said the colour would change! miss the lovely 50s drawing at the top, though!

belleek

gemmak said...

Rosneath: Lol @ 'chunder', excellent, I think that should be adopted into the English language if it isn't already! ;o)

The pic...it may well return in a different guise sometime ;o)

Anonymous said...

LOL! I can think of several collective nouns for a group of inebriated men: a brawl, for one! Or you could have a troupe (as in 'of monkeys'), a mush ('I luuurve you, youknowtha', righ'? Yurran aaangel!!'), or the nicely ironic 'class' (as in 'of schoolboys' but they needn't know that).

Or there's my own personal favourite, an LCD. This actually means 'Lowest Common Denominator' but you can tell them, if challenged, that it means they're bright and sparkly.

Have fun on the Cam! Kudos to you for being the designated driver.

Kitty said...

A fart of inebriated man. As in 'pissed as a', and also descriptive of what they seem to do more of, the more pissed they get!

Enjoy the punting, I went a few times when I was younger, although of course it was in the 'other' city, you now living in the enemy city ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's a 'Posse' !

And there's only 50 of us... what could possibly go wrong! ;o)