The phone rang as promised and I was offered a position, they liked me, they were impressed but as often seems to be the way with employers recently, they had decided to change the goal posts and instead of recruiting a full time position they now were offering two part time jobs....I think they call that hedging your bets don't they?
So, what to do? After a quick discussion with 'himself' it was agreed I wasn't going to play the game, I didn't go through all of that for 20 hours a week with no commitment from the company's side, I applied for a full time post and that's what I want. I have spent too many years in an industry that places too little value on it's staff and the very fact that this company felt it appropriate to take up so much time of twelve individuals in putting them through such a rigorous selection process, only to renege on it's original offer doesn't bode well for it's attitude to it's people. I got back to them and said 'full time or no time', they replied with a slight adjustment in the 'terms' but that only made the offer worse from my point of view.....so I declined!
This is not a bad thing. If nothing else the whole experience has made me more confident, if I can get through that to the end then I can get through however many other selection processes I need to until find a job that suits me and for the first time in my life I feel a degree of empowerment (sorry I hate that psychobabble phrase but I can't think of a better one) and confidence and I am determined that I'm not going to spend the rest of my working life accepting any old crap a poor quality employer throws my way.
I appreciate that I am very fortunate to be in the position of having the luxury of choice. Previously I have always had to accept anything I was offered because I needed to keep a roof over my head but as I do have that luxury for now, I intend to make the most of it and do something positive with it.
Their loss, next please.
....and if working in an office is anything like this maybe I had a lucky escape! ;o)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment