Heavens above! It's probably a good thing that I wasn't completely aware of what I was walking into at yesterday's 'interview' because had I done so, I would likely have seriously considered a no-show!
It was hard to imagine that the selection process we endured was for a 'run of the mill' post, I have only ever been put through my paces like that once before and that was for a much more demanding, and much better remunerated job.
This process took almost five hours, it began with twelve candidates who were gradually whittled away down to three as we went through the stages, which included a math test, a data input speed test, various forms of team building/bonding carrying on's, not one but two presentations from each of us and finally an hour long interview.
My first reaction on arrival and learning exactly what was involved was to bolt but of course I didn't, instead I told myself it didn't matter, treat it like a game and get on with it....and that's what I did. The most dreaded bit of the whole palaver for me was always going to be the presentation, my given subject was to plead the case, as chairman, of a specific organisation for lottery commission funding. I absolutely hate presentations, paricularly with only a few minutes to prepare but a swift moment of self-talk on the basis that I don't normally have any problem 'stating my case' worked. I wrote down a few bullet points and when my name was called I got up and just went for it...big time. Hell, if you're gonna make a fool of yourself then you might as well do it properly! But amazingly it worked, I actually sounded like I knew what I was doing....and though I shouldn't say so myself I was reasonably and very unexpectedly impressive.
Seemingly the assesment team thought so too because I made it to the final three. We were running late by then, it was past 5 o'clock, I was feeling worn out from too much thinking and just wanted to go home but I still had over an hours interview to get through coherrently.
A glass of water and a sneaky bite of the emergency chocolate supply always stashed in my handbag did the trick, I managed a good interview and was finally posted out the door with a promise to let me know the outcome today.
Strangely I'm not too concerned with the outcome, I was pleased to have got through as far as I did and despite myself I found the challenge almost fun, if nothing else it has boosted my waning confidence some. If I don't get this one then there will be another and if I can get though yesterday as far as I did then the next one won't faze me quite the same!
Now all I have to do is wait for the phone to ring........
Friday, 4 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment