Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Tugging my forelock!

Yesterday was my first day at the temping malarkey and I learned one thing if nothing else....that a solicitors office is definitely not my 'thing'! What a carry on! All those protocols, the self imposed faux hierarchical structure and those that must be treated as demi-gods at all times, the solicitors themselves.


Don't get me wrong, I admire their intellect, respect their knowledge and very specialised area of expertise and I'm sure that most of them are very nice people.... but purlease, spare me the demi-god status!

I think it would be safe to say that being a solicitors receptionist is not going to be my niche in life, more plainly it was pretty horrible.

Immediately I walked through the door I was ordered about by some officious secretary (they are second only to the demi-gods in the hierarchy) who overturned just about everything I had been shown in my hours 'lesson' on Friday, I was suddenly responsible for a myriad of tasks no one had thought to mention previously and spent the next eight hours juggling a string of personal callers (most of whom spoke no English or assumed I knew every detail of criminal and matrimonial law myself), a switchboard that never rested from it's habit of 'all lines incoming' for one moment and various grade of demi-god and secretarial staff refusing to take calls! Oh...and not one single cup of coffee was offered.

It seems it wasn't deemed appropriate to warn me that half the staff were on holiday or sick leave and that the remaining individuals wern't in a hurry to cover for them.

Yes, I was stressed, by lunchtime I had a banging headache,(I don't usually 'do' headaches) and by the time I escaped at five all I wanted to do was hide in a corner and cry, or scream....or both.

Yup, eight hours tugging my forelock under heavy pressure is certainly not my bag and being parked at a desk in the cold suited and booted didn't seem like too much fun either.

On the upside, I only have to do two days so by tomorrow evening it will be over and it's money, not much I'll grant you but not much is more than nothing!.

Next please.....

0 Comments: