Tuesday, 4 September 2007

'Virgin' on the ridiculous

Is it any bloody wonder the great British public need nagging relentlessly by politicians to use the rail network? No...it damn well isn't!

We are all familiar with the debacle that is London Underground on occasion, the delays, excuses, cost etc. etc. but I was staggered yesterday when I went to book a ticket on a main line route...it made the underground glow in a halo of light!

I need to travel to the Lake District this Friday evening so off I went to pre-book a ticket.

Firstly there was car parking to deal with. My choice was either £6.50 (I needed about an hour I guessed) for 24 hours and no hourly rate option or the 20 minute and don't return for half an hour pick up and put down area. I opted to look on the bright side and parked in the 20 minute bay.....only to get in a queue at the booking office that of three service points only had one position


manned and who was already serving an obtuse old git who seemingly had all the time in the world!!
The booking clerk advised me that I might like to move my car before the over zealous attendant had it moved for me, the old git didn't take the hint and I had to drive around the towns one way system for a half hour and then return to from whence I had come. My patience was sorely tested when I discovered the old git still hogging the sole booking clerk!

I heaved a sigh of relief when finally it was my turn and I hadn't had to move my car yet again. My relief was short lived.

I hadn't expected my ticket to be cheap but hells bells, I hadn't expected it to be £109 either. One way, standard class, no bells, no whistles, not even a guaranteed seat!!! I don't recall what Mr Branson's advertisements used to say but it certainly wasn't that! If it wasn't such a long drive at the end of a day at work I would drive it out of hellishness and on principle but I'd probably fall asleep so instead I payed up and scuttled away with ticket firmly in hand before my car was towed away into the bargain!

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

If we can't drive it then we don't go these days as train and coach fares are bordering on the ridiculous. You could fly from London to Manchester for less than that.