Sunday, 30 September 2007

The new drink driving

SMOKING!!!

Yes, it seems that smoking, whilst it has long been unpopular with do-gooders and the nanny state has, since it was banned completely in public places in the U.K.
become the latest trend with those that love to hate and smokers have become more than ever the butt of much more dislike and hatred. I am a smoker, I wish I wasn't but I am and I am sick to death (no pun intended) of being treated as though I have
no idea of the dangers to myself or others.


I am aware, probably more aware than the damned pious group of people who keep ramming it down my neck, I live with it, I know how my body feels! And maybe they assume that if despite that I keep on doing it then I must be stupid and in that they may have a point but when they have lived my life and when they are perfect they can judge me....please not before!

I am utterly in agreement that I shouldn't inflict my 'habit' or it's effects on others and I don't, I don't like that there is nowhere I can go in this country and relax with a smoke but I do accept that it is for the good of all and I do adhere to it, in fact I have adhered to it for years before the nanny state imposed it on me!

And now the final straw, another stick to beat we smokers with, another bandwagon to be jumped on with glee by the faultless masses The new Highway Code was published yesterday and in it smoking is now considered a possible reason for the police to have to stop me and issue me with a fine! So, even my own car is no longer a place I can smoke in peace and yes, I can see it as a distraction, particularly if I were to drop the offending item whilst driving but as I have only done that twice in almost 30 years of driving it seems a very small risk.

So two questions: Are those who fiddle with C.D's etc. also risking a ticket and are the police not already so overrun with work that they have time to deal with this too? It seems to me that to enforce this also our constabulary personnel are going to have to sprout multiple pairs of hands or be treated to much swollen ranks!

Finally a few possible ideas for those concerned with distractions whilst driving:

1. Chris Evans on the Radio... (Period, no if nor buts!)
2. Mothers attempting to change nappies/feed/ entertain their child whilst the vehicle is in motion.
3. Amusing Bumper stickers... (Laughing means your not concentrating!)
4. Cyclists using mobile phones? What's that all about then?
5. Kids waving in a friendly fashion out the rear window... (Stop aggravating me and pick on your parents, its their fault!)
6. Women drivers that have their seat set at the point furthest forward and their chin resting on the top of the steering wheel... (Why??? didn't you try sitting in the car before you bought it?)
7. Attractive women/men (according to your preference)......Obviously! No Day Dreaming while driving please!
8. Unattractive middle aged women/men driving flash rag tops... (They build your excitement up as you approach, then just disappoint...)
9. Highways Agency drivers who like to think they're real cops...
10. People that suddenly reduce their speed by 10mph less than the limit when approaching a speed camera... (WHY!!!!!!!)

Sorry, I don't really wish to be facetious but jeez.....leave us smokers a little peace and go hassle someone who can fight back. I know I'm weak, I smoke, I can't thus far give up but I am not an Al-Quaeda bomber, I am not running around a school with an AK47 and I am not an utterly bad person. Hell fire, if I were addicted to heroin I'd be on the receiving end of a little understanding so go check out the medical and physiological details of addiction to nicotine then get back to us heinous smokers.

Angry, p*ssed off....who me? Sorry guys but I'm gonna keep smoking in my car, the need for nicotine, particularly on a long journey, would be way more of a distraction to me than the act of smoking and just for once I'm going to dig my heels in so beat me if you wish, give me a ticket....I'm sure I'll go straight to hell!

*Cough*

0 Comments: