Wednesday, 15 November 2006

White van woman

Ok...I'll admit it, today was some improvement on yesterday when I was tempted to take a hike before I had even completed day 1!

Today was another day (my final, eekkk) of 'learning the ropes' which meant of course another day accompanied by my boss and another day of no break, food or cigarettes but I was at least allowed to drive the route myself and in his van, a new Transit.

Ok, I accept this is not a treat on the scale of driving a DB9 but it is newer and bigger than the van I will be allocated and playing at 'white van woman' was not without it's amusement. It's surprising just how much more one can get away with pushing and shoving into traffic when the vehicle is significantly larger than average. I probably didn't make any friends but I do now have a very small understanding of why white van man exists....hey, I have a route and a pre-determined 'drop' timetable I have to adhere to strictly and complete by a set time.....and no, it isn't generous in timing, quite the reverse! If I drove sedately I would be out of work again in no time, my new timetable is my bible apparently and to be worshipped suitably yada, yada, yada.

That said it was kinda fun, I felt more in control today, was only late for one drop, made up my time, ran the rest of it without any mess up and made it back in time.

Um.....let's not get too confident here, tomorrow I have to go it alone, anything could, and probably will happen and I am soooo tired right now I don't know what to do with myself, but anything has got to be better than how I felt this time yesterday! :o)

0 Comments: