Thursday, 13 July 2006

It was always gonna happen



That is...'madam', she pictured looking bored to death above, was always gonna get her first bird at some stage!

And it did happen, yesterday of all days, when I was having a particularly bad day anyways..... without any of her assistance and it was not a feat to be proud of!

First thing in the morning I noticed an adolescent blackbird hopping around the lawn, it obviously couldn't fly though there was no apparent damage but the countless times I approached it, it just hopped off into the shrubbery, it never took flight.

Mindful of Tilly's recent 'stalking practice' and attempts at killing rubber bands I decided it best I contain her indoors to give the poor bird a chance to put some distance between itself and small cat....but the damn thing just wouldn't go!

Finally in late afternoon it appeared to have disappeared and Tilly was let loose...not half an hour later I was roused from my miserable day by much squawking and excitement in the garden...yes, Tilly had 'discovered' the poor ailing thing and had a firm grip on it. One terse word in her ear caused her to drop it and scuttle back indoors where she was incarcerated again whilst I went to investigate the damage.

I was kind of hoping she had done the job properly but of course I knew she wasn't yet up to that and sure enough, there it was, a bedraggled, motionless little soul on the lawn. Deciding I had to 'do something about it' I went back in for rubber gloves in trepidation, not at all sure if I could do the deed....but on returning to the place I had left it, I discovered no bird....thank the Lord for small mercies, I know it would have been kinder to 'attend to it' but I would have struggled with the practicalities and at least I can hope now that it might recover quietly somewhere.

Ok..unlikely I know but I can hope!


As for you know who....she's just puzzled as to why her wings have been clipped (no pun intended).

0 Comments: