What is it about Christmas that turns those who are presumably perfectly normal, civil adults in every other aspect of their lives into something approaching screaming, rude, obnoxious spoilt children as soon as they enter a retail outlet? Would they wish their mother/daughter/child/wife to be treated in such a manner, would they find that acceptable?......I think not, so why do they feel they have a right to take their frustrations out on us in such a way? I am paid to take the 'flak', to deal with the problems and to find the solutions, I accept it's not all going to be a walk in the park but there are degrees of acceptable behaviour, even under the stress of the festive rush....not that Joe customer seems to agree on that point. Sure, if something breaks, is out of stock, if the service received is not up to scratch etc. etc. let the complaints come, I will deal with them to the best of my ability, but please Mr/Ms/Mrs valued customer, understand that I can't force maufacturers to open on a Sunday, and produce just for you the item you desire, I am not an electrical engineer, I cannot know the full specification of 32.000 products off the top of my head, I can't always 'mend it' or change it's colour and no I won't carry the cost of a courier from Cornwall to have your heart's desired item instore within the hour!
And understand if you will, I will bend over backwards to help you achieve ownership of your dreamed of item, I will move heaven and earth where I can, I will deliver service above and beyond the call of duty....if you are reasonably polite to me and my staff but if you are rude to us, shout, swear or threaten you have already lost your battle, for no matter how justified your complaint may be all that is in my head now is 'get the hell of out of my face you to**er...go sort it yourself!
So when those that deem it appropriate to abuse shop staff begin their rantings, maybe they would do well to remember that manners and civility will get you our best shot, rudeness will get you absolutely damn all more than we can do to retain our jobs!!
In solidarity this post is dedicated to Bert, who I think probably tolerated more than myself this weekend and who understands only too well! ;o)


1 Comments:
My weekend is next weekend... Christmas Eve...though I suspect Friday will be the stinker.
Post a Comment